Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is the best way to make or show expanded metal and perforated plate? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj62

Industrial
Jul 15, 2016
US
I'm wondering if there is a good way of creating expanded metal and perforated plate in Solidworks? I'm currently using extrude cut then fill pattern and making the pattern larger so there aren't as many cuts, but this method slows down my computer.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

aj62

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless you have a very good reason to actually model the perforations, the best way by far is to apply an appearance. There are lots of options that can do the job. In my opinion, modeling things like perforations or screw threads just needlessly consumes memory space and processor capacity. In some cases the weight of the effected object is a concern. In those cases I just override the weight rather than modeling all those useless features.

If you need to model it to show perforations on a drawing I typically model a small portions, dimension that, and then cross hatch out the box that the perf will cover and add a note stating that pattern continues throughout the cross hatched area and was omitted for drawing/model simplicity.

"then cross hatch out the box that the perf will cover and add a note stating that pattern continues throughout". I have done that too. Works well.

Thanks for the responses, they are much appreciated. The reason I model some of the perforations is so I can create realistic renderings, or to help colleagues understand all the components in an assembly. I do use notes similar to hendersdc example, and this is an effective way to simplify drawings.

aj62

We use expanded metal on several components on our machines and rebuilding the model takes forever if the expanded metal detail is active. I have taken to including a derived configuration of the expanded metal with the detail suppressed - so i can use the "less detailed" configuration and only use the "fully detailed configuration when i need it.
I also tried modeling the expanded metal pattern at a larger scale - so the appearance is valid but the rebuild times are less. this method really depends on what accuracy you need in the views or renderings.

When ever I want to show expanded metal I use a normal sheet metal panel and just apply a texture to one face. This does a decent job and the transperancy of the texture allows you to see the material behind it.
I attached the image I used for the texture.

khuey
Expanded_wn6nmg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back