Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is the difference between PSL 1 and PSL2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cesar Almada

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2020
US
Good afternoon to all

I have a question about Pipe PSL and PSL2, i work in a Natural Gas Company. Before that i enter to this company my coworkers requested the pipeline with specification PSL 1 and I don't know when they started to requested pipe with specification PSL2.

I read about that and isn't problem if we accept pipeline with specification PSL 1 for natural gas and if someone want to deliver PSL2 isnt a problem, right? because is better quality the PSL 2?

What is your recomendation?

Thank you a lot,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PSL 1 & PSL 2 are different specifications coming under API 5L. Right from manufacturing, starting material, seamless or seam, inspection methods and of course usage, these two grades differ. Each grade is further subdivided into sub grades.

Consult API 5L - Specification for line pipe for further understanding.

I have used ASTM A 106 Gr B / API 5L PSL 2 for natural gas piping though.[bigsmile]

DHURJATI SEN

gearteeth,

The provided link has some outdated information. This might be from old edition of API 5L.
You may notice that we can order PSL 2 for pipe size less than 4.5" or bevelled end from pipe manufacturers.

The PSL2 pipe is manufactured with more limited controls, both in the raw material, process and the pipe itself.
It is intended to reduce the probability of premature degradation, resist the fracture propagation, HIC and the others well known damage mechanisms that could lead to fatal failures.
In the case of natural gas, the appropriate product specification level is PSL2 and compliance with API 5L Annex G and where applicable Annex H should be included.

China produces durable iPods and produces disposable MP3 players. Both products are made by the same workforce, the difference is in the quality assurance of the materials and the precise supervision of the manufacturing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back