Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is the required hydro test pressure for vessels going to China? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockleyboy

Industrial
Aug 19, 2008
Can anyone tell me if a Sec VIII Div 1 pressure vessel going to China is required to be hydro tested at 1.5 x MAWP or is it just the standard 1.3 x MAWP? And where is it written?
Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My customer doesn't know if they are required to meet any other code. They were contracted to build a vessel to Sec. VIII Div 1 for export to China. They questioned if they were required to test at 1.5 as a general rule for China.

Yes, 1.5. I have several vessels designed in China being fabbed there. They jointly meet the Chinese 'GB' spec(s) and ASME VIII. All the hydro pressures were 1.5.

HOWEVER, you have to watch out for local yielding if you use the post-1999 ASME allowable stress values -- 3.5 safety factor and 1.3 hydro, or
pre-1999 ASME values -- 4.0 safety factor and 1.5 hydro.

Mixing & matching Codes requires a lot of extra dilignece and some extra calc's.

In Chinese pressure vessel STD GB-150, you have to test it per 1.5Xdesign pressure.

However, if your vessel is design based on ASME VIII Div 1 with U stamp, I believe that the Chinese "Boiler Pressure Vessel inspection and supervision House" may also accepte it. In this case, You can do everything per UG-99.

My company does a lot of work for Chinese Installations & I just headed-up the Chinese Audit for the renewal of our Chinese Manufacturing License.

There are a few requirements that we need to bring into play from GB-150, such as chemical requirements for materials and impact testing requirements, but otherwise we are required to meet ASME Code for the mechanical design & fabrication requirements, therefore UG-99 is applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back