Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What material should i use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natalia L.

Materials
Jan 19, 2021
US
I want to 3D print an simple anchor. The anchor consists of a 1” stainless steel D-ring with 2.5 mm wire diameter and the cylindrical base with the diameter of 3/4” and thickness of 4 mm. The base has two holes with the diameter of 2.7 mm and depth of 1/3” where the D-ring will be inserted. I need this anchor to withstand a pulling force of at least 15 lbs and scratch-resistant. What plastic or rubber can you recommend of the base? I am leaning toward glass-filled nylon 6,6. Is the a better alternative
4cc657f14dcfd95cd62a8071f2028218_907_615_pixels_zsfaxr.png
?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no bar material from McMaster Carr that could be bought, sawed off, and a couple of blind holes drilled?

Is the concern the cylindrical base may be scratched, or do some scratchin' ?

Tmoose:
After i posted the original message, i kept checking for responses but never saw any. Decided to revisit my post and saw your reply. Thank you!
First off, i know nothing about mechanical or industrial engineering, so please bear with me. So, i decided to manufacture the entire part (the base and D-ring which goes into it) from stainless steel simply because i think it would be easier to find a manufacturer in case my project takes off and i will be at a point where i will have to go into mass production. However, i cannot envision an automated process that would bend AND insert the D ring into the base. I can see that the base can be manufactured via CNC machining or injection moldong but the D ring? Is there a machine that can do it or it will have to be done manually even in the mass production?

Natalia L. , why would you make something you can buy?

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

The D's are bent in one operation and then inserted in a second one.
High strength SS wire is readily available and companies that make springs usually also form these kinds of parts.
Will these see continuous load? If so then plastic for the cap may be an issue as they will creep.
There are stronger materials available when you move to injection molding. It will be an order of magnitude lower cost than a machined part in volume. Machining the base from SS will be expensive but be easy to do in small volume. It will require a bunch of operations where as molded plastic will be nearly a finished part.
How are these anchored? Are there internal threads?
For test parts using N66 for the cap sounds fine. For samples the D's will likely be something that you find available in the market, maybe as part of another assembly.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

document_bysfxh.png

SnTMan, i have not seen anything similar on the market.
EdStainless, rignt now i am in prototyping stage. I went to a couple of websites, uploaded the files (separate files for the base and D-ring). they come back with the quote to cut them but noone seems to give me a clear response as to whether they can put them together. It is a very simple part. That is why i am here trying to understand how i can manufacture it as a prototype and as mass product.
Yes, mentioning the creep was helpful but the load will not be static but rather dynamic. Basically a strap connected to the anchor will excert force of various magnitude and direction abruptly.

Natalia,

Automated processes require automation equipment. Automated processes for custom parts require custom automation equipment, or at the very least tooling.

Are you willing to pay for the design of the process equipment or tooling?

In your wildest dreams, how many of these do you think you will need?

2.5 mm wire retained by 1.5 mm of plastic and 15 pounds "rather dynamic" "various magnitude and direction abruptly" do not inspire confidence.

Take SnTman's excellent advice and buy an off the shelf product. Design a cover for it.

Natalia,these days one is overwhelmed with choice for filaments. Check any of the composite filament having glass or graphite Bakelite is equally hard. Choice will depend on the printer available and temperature settings.

I can't read the description of how this piece of equipment will be used and intended to fail over time after so many load cycles.
Only once you determine the need, you can start investigating a suitable material. Then how to manufacture into mass production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back