Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What percentage of a building electrical usage is HVAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jr1772

Mechanical
Apr 14, 2009
US
I am looking for an approximate percentage, that I am able to back up that is the amount of a buildings electrical usage that is HVAC. The DOE says between 40 and 60% any agree with that?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you'll find the DOE will also state it depends on the type of building it is-labs, as an example, use more HVAC than office buildings, so DOE is researching lab HVAC. Hospitals and restaurants are another example. I think unqualified statistics are useless 72.4% of the time.

Only two kinds of lies-damn lies and statistics. 77.1234% of the time, yeah, that's the ticket, what I meant to say. Since two anonymous sources agree, it must be valid.

sounds reasonable. That includes all the old building stock etc so a new building will be much better than this, hopefully. They only just got rid of full glass facades facing west!!!!

In the worst-case, consider that the A/C cooling power is at least as much as the total electrical power dissipation within the building, since that essentially all goes to heat, and the A/C is not 100% efficient. Therefore, the A/C is at least 50% of total electrical load for a hot day.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I believe it is a lot lower than that, well in Siberia and Antarctica I would bet on it. Perhaps slightly higher ,(if you had any that is), in the Congo or Madagascar.

Residential in southern California, that figure is ok. I don't know about Alberta or Havana or Bonn or Quito. It is less for some occupancies, (warehouse), and more for others, (surgury center). You won't find any "typical" value that means anything without more information.

The only ducks I ever taste are hung by 2 metal hooks in the display case at the local roast duck store; fairly certain, apriori, that it's duck that I buying and not something else.

Luckily, I never "have to" or want to taste the other.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Well, I wasn't satisfied with the accuracy levels available in electrical engineering so I got a masters in economics. Here's my take on it.

At the 95% confidence level, I'm 63.278% sure that HVAC energy accounts for somewhere between 2.78% and 97.22% of building energy use in the US of A. Or not.

Seriously -- me personally, I agree with the Dept of Energy's assessment. I spent lots of my career doing energy analyses of existing buildings, and they tended to fall into that 40% to 60% slot fairly regularly when in the office / medical / institutional / military category. K-12 schools were much lower since the ones I worked did not operate in summer.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back