Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What soil information is required on Structural drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrEng007

Structural
Aug 22, 2014
US
Besides the design load-bearing values of soils, what other information is REQUIRED to be listed on a set of structural drawings?

I've seen some people mention that settlement is just as important, but I'm not sure where to reference that information. The building codes don't provide an presumptive settlement, right?

The way I see it, there are two scenarios that typically happen. Either you have a soils report or you don't. The building code states that a geotechnical study SHOULD be done for any soil compaction over 12". Is that to say that soil compaction less than 12" is allowed to default to the presumptive loads in the building code?

Are we to list any % dry density? Do we need to specify the consistency of clean granular soils or limitations in rock size? These are all things I've seen on structural drawings.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My Jurisdiction requires a a geotechnical report for all commercial sites. That report is subject to the requirements of the IBC for values that need to be included in the report.

On the structural drawings we are required by IBC to list the load bearing capacity used for each soil type where we bear structure.
Additionally the seismic information is related to soil especially the site class.

I feel that IBC Section 1603 (2018 Version) sufficiently covers your question from the standpoint of the model code. Local jurisdictions, or owners may require additional information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back