Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What to learn for a bright future in the industry (Bridges) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridge_Man

Structural
Apr 2, 2020
US
Hi,

It seems multiple states are moving forward with the BIM and 3D modeling for construction and plans and I want to be able to save my spot amongst those who can deliver such things in addition to the obvious technical abilities. I want to get your thoughts on what should I be focusing on for a bright future in the industry.

Abilities:
1- I have 4 years of experience in the bridge engineering industry
2- going for my PE soon
3- I have decent technical capabilities and codes interpretation capabilities
4- I have decent knowledge in advanced 3-D modeling (SAP2000 and MIDAS)
5- I have very basic knowledge in seismic engineering (I hate that) but my state is not big on seismic. and I can't (don't know how) deal with it on an advanced level or in modeling.
6- I have OK MicroStation capabilities. and this is where I would like to largen my horizon, I would very much like to be able to use both MicroStation and Inroads with a high level of experience. I sincerely believe that those two tools distinguish so many engineers from others. not just drafting by laying out the work, and I believe 3D modeling for construction is very close in our industry.

What are your thoughts. this is an open discussion, no wrong answers here.

Thank You !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So I have extensive experience in developing BIM models for bridges. IMO, it's still debatable if its worth it.

The big issue I see? Bridge plans are basically a schematic set of plans. Compound this with less than adequate BIM software, 2D is still more effective and easier to convey a design.

Analysis the models are trivial to build. For detailing, excessive modelling is required to get all the details correct for plan development and many engineers or drafters user don't have the experience to both detail and model. The fabricator works out all the details. Maybe once rebar detailing gets better it will be worth it. BIM is great in preliminary design, but once you get to semi or final design, its much easier to use 2D plans. This may change if we start delivering bridge models in lieu of plans.

Unless you have some extensive conflicts and you need to monitor them throughout design or are doing design build and need to incorporate construction changes, their really isn't any benefit to trying to go all BIM.

BIM modelling for bridges can be effective but you need to identify the goals and detail that needs to go into the BIM models and the effort you want to put forth keeping them updated.

Just wanted to chip in and say great posts here.

If I could add one thing from my own experience, it is develop the skill of being roughly right.

Doing line beam checks, sketching deflected shapes, working out the worst traffic positions by thinking about it.

For me this is critical. Good engineering judgement as a basis for your work to back up the computer analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back