Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what's the better drafting package for controls and power? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not used nor have I seen anyone using promis e. Conversely, I have used AutoCad for years with several OEM employers and it is readily accepted by our customers.

David Baird

Sr Controls Designer
EET degree.
Journeyman Electrician.

Never used promis e either. Use AutoCAD electrical for power and commercial wiring stuff. Use ACCEL for schematic capture for board level design.

I gotta say with a dumb name like "promis e" I'd look at AutoCad too though I must admit I have never seen a more poorly run company than AutoDesk.. Well maybe Enron...
[flip]

ACCEL is broadly used for board layouts. I have use EAGLE for board layouts. It is pretty good for a few hundred bucks and you can get the lower package for under $100.

But if you are talking "power" type drawings yes AutoCad is probably the most universal. It also comes in handy for other job aps like simple mechanicals (or complex for that matter)

Promis-e from ECT software has been around for a long time and is very widely used in the electrical industry, especially by control panel builders. It was the first AutoCAD adjunct to automate things like wire numbering, layouts etc. for control panels. We have used it for years. Supposedly AutoDesk has finally decided that the electrical industry is worthwhile and has released AutoCAD Electrical? I don't know anything about it other than what I have seen in ads, I am no longer directly involved in drafting any more. I can say however that AutoDesk would be the Johnny-come-lately in this specialty compared to Promis-e. They were somewhat arrogant about providing anything tailored for 2D drawings and schematics other than to offer libraries.

Eng-Tips: Help for your job, not for your homework Read faq731-376 [pirate]

We design loss and dielectric test stations for distribution and power xfmr's. We normally use plain 'ol acad, but we are looking to simplify and automate the design and drawing processes. We rely heavily on inventor for our xfmr product design. Because of this fact, our boss has assumed that ACAD electrical is the way that we should go. However, I've questioned Acad electrical's flexibility as far as panel and schematic layout. Does ACAD electrical also allow for electronic design schematics?

You can always build your own library for schematics. I believe the electrical add-on has some of these symbols. I have not used it but there are some things which may be useful over and above straight AutoCAD like labeling - supposedly you can change a label in one spot and it will change that label in all spots in which it is used (which would be very nice) as an example. If your not doing board level design then AutoCAD is probably the most universal but apparently 'promis e' is also used alot (what kind of name is that anyway?).
Get the evaluation copies and load them and see what you think. I would think some trial versions would be available but maybe not.
I mentioned ACCEL before, this program is used for board layout, yes, but it is also used for schematics (geared for board level design, caps, R's, transistors, IC's, transformers, chokes, etc). Where AutoCAD probably has push buttons, transformers, breakers, switches, etc more panel layout and power type stuff.
ACCEL would allow the file to be imported into a board layout program, eliminating some work, where AutoCAD files can not. I suppose some PCB programs may take an AutoCAD file but not for schematic, they will for the actual traces and such but not schematics that I know of.

One thing I forgot to mention is that almost all the electrical manufacturers that we use their products have AutoCad files that you can download and import and/or copy-paste directly into your drawings. This has saved me a considerable amount of development time. To my knowledge they don't offer "promis e" files.

David Baird

Sr Controls Designer
EET degree.
Journeyman Electrician.

promis-e is an add-on to AutoCAD, the files are the same.

Eng-Tips: Help for your job, not for your homework Read faq731-376 [pirate]

I guess promis e is not used much especially if its an AutoCAD add-on and most here have used AutoCAD and not even heard of promis e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back