Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What's the plan for EVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect Toyota will give Musk a run for his money... and for the high end, they might even produce an EV Lexus (just a guess; I've not heard anything)? I quit driving about 6 years back... so, I'm out of the equation.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Yup, Brian... my mom was born at Oil Springs, Ontario... way back when. Done properly, nuclear can be really clean. I just read a small article about the use of Thorium for the system. Canada's reactors produce Plutonium... maybe not so good. I joke that at least it's a marketable product...[pipe]

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I have some cable samples where the conductor is 1" dia copper strand... and the overall cable is about 3" in dia. There were 4 (3 for conductors and 1 spare) lines run a distance of several kilometers, underground on one of my projects. They were the largest conductors I've ever seen, and the coating serves as more than just an insulator. [pipe]

-----*****-----

-Dik

EVs are really taking off here in New Zealand now that we have a subsidy applicable on new ones priced at under NZ$80k. Fortunately our renewable electricity content is good, generally over 85%, 90% today. Although this country is not huge, we do have fairly good fast charging infrastructure throughout, standardised on CCS Combo 2 (including Tesla) but all DC chargers still cater for Chademo. I bought the first Kona EV sold in this region nearly 5 years ago, mainly to learn about the technology.

Relevant milestones that have surprised me are (1) how quickly Hyundai/Kia has been able to position themselves as one of the top players and (2) that the Chinese brands like MG, BYD and GWM have good quality EVs at about 2/3 to 3/4 the price of the traditional offerings. Very popular is the BYD Atto 3 with LFE cells and a V2L feature, but charging speed is in the entry level category, as my Kona is.

As long as your power source is renewable and not fossil fuels, EVs are the correct path, There was a recent article on the cost of EV 'fuel'.

In addition to eliminating fossil fuels, it's a matter of reducing our consumption of power, too. That will be essential in the future, I suspect.

-----*****-----

-Dik

A fossil fuel is a fuel that is sourced from prehistoric animal/plant matter. This includes coal, petroleum and natural gas... Sorry guy, you have to re-think. Now, write it out 100 times... There are fossil fuels, There are fossil fuels, There are fossil ... [pipe]

-----*****-----

-Dik

Monkeying with the terminology and complaining that the commonly used terminology is a misnomer doesn't change the facts of the situation. Releasing a vast amount of carbon that has been locked up for millions of years into the atmosphere in the form of carbon dioxide over the course of a few decades is an enormous experiment with potentially disruptive consequences that perhaps we (mankind as a whole) ought to keep to a minimum.

It doesn't matter what you call the "carbon that has been locked up for millions of years". The common terminology is "fossil fuels". Deal with it. It doesn't matter whether you like that terminology or not.

Hokie66 said:
Is this guy right, or just a whinger? I wonder what Ford has to say about the performance of its EV trucks.

Bit of this, bit of that. Certainly the infrastructure is far from perfect (it's improving, quickly), but he also could have planned his trip better and was unlucky.

I'm pretty sure this is the location that they had a problem with:
Browsing the check-ins at that location suggests an isolated problem between 14 and 19 June 2023, so the owner of the Lightning appears to be unlucky to have landed in that time period. I suspect the owner in question is the check-in report of 19 June, although we have no way of knowing. If that's the case, had the owner checked the check-in reports on PlugShare, it would have been apparent that some people had been having problems the few days leading up to that.

Albertville is a 50 kW location, which is fine for a Bolt or other smaller EV, but the GM dealer 20 miles earlier has a 120 kW charger, which their vehicle could have made use of. It probably would have been better to stop a few minutes earlier and then charge up a whole lot faster.

Mineral oil/slash/ petroleum is not from animals. Bacteria eats them up, and their oil(or materials) will not pass through granite and other stone to get to the depths where the oil is sourced from.
The constant replenishing of oil wells left dormant, shows there is another mechanism at work, creating the mineral oil.

The main thing electric cars will do is raise insurance rates for everything, especially shipping, and homes with attached garages. Or along with everything else happening put all insurance company's out of business.

...and very likely, in the long run, they will replace fossil fueled vehicles.

-----*****-----

-Dik

EngineRus, you are increasingly commenting with complete crap. Please stop.

"Mineral oil/slash/ petroleum is not from animals."

The genesis of petroleum deposits is pretty much solved science - coal deposits have fossilized plant materials in them, so do petroleum deposits (but in the case of oil, the "animals" and plants are mostly single-celled organisms).

"...oil(or materials) will not pass through granite and other stone to get to the depths where the oil is sourced from"

One of the first Pennsylvanian oil wells was all of 69 ft. deep (prior to deliberately drilling for oil they were drilling for salt water and found oil instead), the cap "rock" is usually sedimentary silt, sand and salt, not igneous (granite). Early carbon-based life forms died and were buried in landslides and/or river deltas, and a few billion years later we started digging them back up. It's pretty rare to drill through granite to get to oil (or much of anything else).

TLDR: everything you wrote was wrong.

Please stop posting, you reveal your idiocy every time.

The trouble with route planners is that as they get more popular they become less effective. It can't route multiple vehicles to one charger.

wouldn't that make them "better" ...
if they "knew" that all the outlets at a station should be busy, then consider that station unavailable and plan accordingly.
Maybe set the station "unavailable" if 80% of the outlets are used, leave some for "walk-ins".

then the people owning the station might install more outlets, seeing how busy they are.

Or the routing can use "flexible times"

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Plugshare indicates how many of a given station's charging slots are available or busy in real time, but cannot predict the future, and none of them attempt to predict the future. I've never had to wait at a charging station for one to become available ... although in 38,000 km I've still only done a couple of trips that relied on fast-chargers. (Plugging in at home is enough 95+% of the time.) I didn't use any trip-planner, no need, all of our motorway service centres have DC fast-chargers and that's all I needed.

This problem will go away as more stations are installed, and there's a coalition of auto manufacturers planning to put in 30,000 over the next couple of years. That's almost double the number of Tesla Superchargers and it almost doubles the total of Tesla + CCS.

If every Tim Horton's in Canada installed a DC fast-charger, even just one or two 50kW jobbies, we wouldn't have a problem ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back