Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's wrong with Abaqus.inaccurate results without errors/warnings (seam crack)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABD01

Structural
Dec 28, 2018
MD
So I have been with this problem for more than a week now.
There is a big issue with Abaqus (I know this is a big allegation to be made by a learning user)

See the attached first (2 Figures), please
You can see that there is an element that one of his nodes are separated from the adjacent element!! How could this happen with no error!!

There crack length (a) starting from edge of central hole. The crack did not open along the dotted line (photo 2 in the file). Only the small part of the seam crack length its open as you can see. Why would this happen. The seam crack assigned correctly to the all the embedded face along the crack length.
The seam crack assign 2 nodes to separate crack faces. As it does not work in the current case I have,is there another way to separate the crack faces (gap between nodes of 2 attached elements)

The model is an assembly of the crack, partitions around the crack tips and the hole plates (as in photo 1). the merged (Geometry, retain boundary)

Do you have any idea what happening here, please comment if so

Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c1aa857a-173a-45d3-84b0-ccebcf158cac&file=abaqus_issue.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

when you performed your merge you must have a section where the nodes on opposing faces are not coincident.

when you do the merge CAE will highlight the nodes that will be merged together in purple.

I would check that these problem nodes are highlighted at this stage.

You may have to adjust your mesh or adjust the size of the tolerance when you perform the merge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back