Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When is it too late to pursue engineering professionally? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

filasofee

Electrical
Feb 11, 2010
US
When is it too late to pursue engineering professionally?

Do you think there are some definite restrictions one must place on their interest in engineering, such as age, skill, math/science aptitude?

I suppose it would make perfect sense to urge an interested person not to enter the field if their grasp of mathematics is severely limited, but what of the real world practicing amateur engineer. I am referring to a tradesman, craftsman, or technician who puts his/her mind to the test everyday coming to solutions on field problems which may have had a similar origin at an engineers desk. Should these people be urged to enter the field, or put themselves through a college engineering program?

If one should have a natural inclination toward the discipline and techniques of professional engineers should they take aggressive means to propel that desire and manifest a reality out of it, and if so what restrictions would you think should apply? Age? Sex? Marital status?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I went thru the same route as you did, but at a younger age :+). Yes the four year college will be tougher than the two year college, however, for me the two year gave me a running start in confidence that I am sure I could not get at the four year. The difference that I experience was not really the material, but the professors. The two year were more appt to help you (since most students at two years were working students and the professors understood this) and the classes were smaller where the four year professors where tougher on exams and passive when they taught and when you come to them with questions. I would like to point out too that you will start out with freshmen level engineering classes and thus will kind of start at the beginning again, so don't walk in to the four year thinking you will start as a junior but as a semi freshmen/sophomore.

I do think that with your ten years of experience as an electrician coupled with a newly minted BS in EE will definitely give you an optimistic chance of finding employment once you graduate especially in the power industry. In most cases, it is that piece of paper that will open doors for you.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back