Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where are Excel preferences kept?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MigrantFirmWorker

Aerospace
Jul 10, 2003
US
I have customized toolbars/icons and am now moving to a different computer. How do I transfer the customizations?

Chris

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Don't be deceived. We're all temporary employees."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is in a .xlb file. With Win2k and Excel2000, mine is in C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\Excel.xlb

Just copy this file to the same location on the new computer after you install Excel.

At the risk of being greedy...what about Word, Powerpoint & Outlook?

Chris

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Don't be deceived. We're all temporary employees."

Word: C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dot

Powerpoint: I'm not sure about this one. Try: C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Application Data\Microsoft\PowerPoint\ppt.pcb

Outlook: I think all of the settings are stored in your .pst file, but check to see what files are in: C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

be sure to copy over your .wab, .pab, .pst and .ost files for Outlook (address books and databases). They could be anywhere so do a search.

Also for Excel your customized charts, etc. are in:C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\Personal.xls

There are probably some setting stored in the blasted Registry also, but these are not easy to move. I think there are some s/w programs available that claim to be able to move all of your settings. Search PCMag or use Google to find reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back