Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

where can i find prices of motors and hydraulic cyclinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirsty

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2003
IE
where can i find prices for hydraulic cylinders or electric motors? i am only at an early stage of design so i only know vaguely the power requirements etc. every website i look at either wants very specific info before itll even tell you what motors it has, or gives a list of motors without prices. since im not going to even bother working out the detailed requirements until i have a general idea of the price, this is no good to me.

any decent websites with a list of motors rated by power, torque, rpm, price, or hydraulic cylinders rated by force, power, bore diameter, price? Price being the important one.

some people keep telling me hydraulics bound to be cheaper, but id like to check it out for myself first.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tol-O-Matic is a company that makes hydraulic, pneumatic and electric cylinders and actuators. I share your frustration on the price issue, however, one of my vendors from Shepherd Controls has a program that spits out a quote for components. I tell my rep the force, distance, and speed of action that i am looking for and he gives me a quote pretty quick. I can give you his info if you would like. I dont know of any vendors, other than McMaster-Carr or Grainger, that has pricing posted.

Hope that helps,

Jay B. Knudsen
jay@dicar.com

Parker makes excellent hydraulic components. I would suggest however, since this is your first time to get the local sales guy to come in. Parker will distribute to its customers manuals on how these calculations as well as the subsequent equipment selection is made. I now have a few hard cover Parker books that explain all theory and selection of hydraulic components.

Overall component selection can be tricky. I personally hate it. Having a "good" non slimy sales guy walk you through helps...at least it has for me.

Good Luck

T.Tuck P.Eng

Kristy, here is another suggestion. Bimba makes pneumatic cylinders, valves, actuators, etc. We have automated systems here that use air cylinders. Depending on the application, pneumatic cylinders are the least expensive way to go. Additionally, the systems are generally simplified as a result of using pressure regulators instead of configuring complicated hydraulic systems.

Good Luck,

Jay

PS: I agree with T.Tuck, Parker is an excellent choice for hydraulic system applications.

I would suggest Baily Sales, Burden Surplus, and Northern Equipment catalogs if you are talking about fairly small, nonexotic stuff. I use these all the time to do quick checks on availability and prices of hydraulic components like cylinders and motors. They don't have anywhere near the range of stuff that your local parker distributor or general-purpose industrial hydraulics rep does, but what they have is actually in stock and the price is right in the catalog. They also will not lead you astray and sell you weird stuff that you can't really get.

Email me if you have trouble finding those places--I have the catalogs here somewhere and can give you a phone nubmer or website.

Jess Davis
Davis Precision Design
jacec@pldi.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back