Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where did decorative lettering go? Lets bring it back!!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SethWCE

Civil/Environmental
Feb 27, 2012
US
I prepare a lot of parcel maps, surveys, engineering plans, etc., in my field (Civil Engineering) and when you look at old parcel maps you always see large decorative lettering stating the title of the map or subdivision. Sometimes a decorative North Arrow as well. This lettering was hand drawn of course (as everything was back then), and to me it was quite beautiful. Sometimes it had a lot of decorative calligraphy, scrollwork, hatching, shading, etc. You just don't see that anymore with everything done on computers. Everyone just picks a font that comes with their PC and goes with it. Hand drawing use to be an art form. For someone who loves drafting, and believes we have gained so much by CAD, I think we have also lost a lot of the "art" of drafting.

Lets bring back this dying art. Lets show that engineering is not just lines on paper. It can be beautiful too.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the tick.
""" I think it's ironic that the people who were best at imagining things in 3D were the ones who worked on paper their whole lives. The drawings were 2D, but the designers had 3D versions of parts and layouts in their minds. """

I think this was a function of board drafting. Orthographic or isometric was fairly easy compared to rendering a true perspective view of a part, and the person drawing it had to be more of an artist than a designer.
So the tendancy was to keep it in your head rather than put it down on paper,and just do a series of orthographic views from different angles.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

berkshire,

I cannot speak for TheTick, but I am good at spatial relationships. This made it easier for me to work on a drafting board and on 2D[ ]CAD. I can hand draw 3D[ ]sketches, complete with perspective. I have done isometric drawings too.

Back in the day, I was very quick to go to the drafting board and the orthogonal projections, mostly because my big design problems involved making things fit in the available space. I need scale. Ortho drawings get the job done if you don't have 3D[ ]CAD. 3D[ ]sketches are a good way to show off a mechanism, but I have rarely had to do that.

Critter.gif
JHG

I'd do an entire set of civil site plans in pastel and watercolor if someone would pay me to do so.

Unsurprisingly, they won't.

:)

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

I prefer Leroy lettering templates to hand lettering, much nicer and less erasing. Today I use a Leroy font in AutoCAD for most all of my work except stencil and a few others.

I haven't done a hand engineering drawing since Engineering Fundamentals at Virginia Tech in 1989, and I haven't seen a drafting table since my second job, when they were giving them away to any takers. So it ended up not having relevance in my career, but one piece of advice my dad gave me was, "Don't get good at lettering, because you'll be the guy doing all of it."

Yep, I got that same advice from one of the engineers where I was co-oping summers while in engineering school

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Gotta love advice to deliberately do a bad job, such a good work ethic. Maybe we should suggest this to that guy with the boring task in that other thread.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I've seen some great samples at previous jobs, pencil dwgs from the 50's on up, have a sample or 2 from the sunset of pencil in the 80's. Saw a simply beautiful B sheet fluttering down the street when Trico wipers cleared out of buffalo. Shoulda picked it up.

A short contract doing line-by line autocad 2D really helped my spatial, lettering and sketching skills. That and Autocad 3D, all wireframe, all of the time. Making sense of a bowl of rectilinear spaghetti.

I am 33 and was decently quick at the Leroy machine on some grading plans I had to update many years ago. Not as clean as the older guys though when they showed me how to properly use it. I also learned to letter in High School and prefer the Leroy Machine to hand lettering. But then you can almost stick an original mylar into a plotter and just let CAD print where needed, so this doesn't count as artwork.

Now those old North arrows, those are always refreshing to look at.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer
| |

We live in a world where efficiency is the number one desired trait. Fancy fonts and north arrows, in my opinion, are a waste of time. Short and to the point is what is required in a fast-paced engineering project. Some level of sacrifice needs to be made to get drawings out on time. A client can look at the artistic fonts and objects as a distraction.

MusicEngineer,

I have attached a map I drew for a hiking club. The north arrow is not a masterpiece, but it was fun, and fun is what hiking clubs are all about. It was worth taking a little time.

As with fonts, I am impressed at something somebody draws. I am not impressed at clip-art somebody finds.

One of the things I recall about working on a drafting board was that my lettering deteriorated over the weekend. By late Tuesday, I was back into it. This is stuff you cannot be good at unless you work at it constantly.

--
JHG

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c9a9a30f-7c53-46ce-95a3-74a94a4ca501&file=MapWithNorthArrow.png
I was in the last mechanical engineering class to be required to do a hand-drafting class in 1998. One of the requirements was to precisely copy an alphabet in "drafting font" or whatever. That alone took most students a month to complete because the sadistic TA's took great pleasure in finding where your lines at the bottom of your "H" didn't hit the guideline. What a god-forsaken waste of time. Those dickheads didn't even give me a CAD course, I had to learn it in my first job!

If you want to do art, go do art. If you want to combine engineering and art, work with an industrial designer or an architect. The rest of us to want you to communicate your ideas legibly and quickly. I can't STAND people that bemoan the loss of hand drafting. Are you kidding me?! Let's bring back slide rules and books of logs - those were pretty awesome, right? Oh wait, I'd rather do multiplication in 0.001 seconds using the iPhone I'm using to type this.

As an engineer, my art is in the beauty and functionality of the designs I create. My clients pay me for that, and to do it quickly, not spend hours tarting up the documents I use to convey my designs.

On the other hand, the documents for today's design help to sell tomorrow's design, so a little tarting up is a good investment.

At my very first real job, being able to letter exactly like the chief draftsman was a condition of employment. The resulting drawing sets looked real nice, regardless of who drew which sheet. CAD gives you that hard-won uniformity almost for free.

CAD's easy uniformity also robs the reviewer of a useful signal about how much care went into a design.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mike,

I think that this ping-pong can go on forever :) Or at least until all thouse who leared to hand draft are retired.

Best regards

Morten

A point which may be fast approaching, at least it feels that way for those of us who were members of those last classes which were taught to hand letter (I still have my pencil sharpener and some erasing shields in my desk drawer).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

John,
I think that the Pentel Pencil,in varying widths even did away for the need for that pencil sharpener.
Although I do still have some clutch pencils and a sandpaper board handy.
I am now retired, and only do this drafting thing when I feel like it.
Besides it is sooo much easier on a computer. You never have to worry about spilling your cup of coffee on the part finished sheet.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

berkshire,

Yon can spill coffee on your keyboard!

I did not use a 0.5mm pencil for lettering. I used a 2mm lead holder with a semi-sharp lead. Also, I used a 2mm leadholder with a very sharp 5H lead for drawing layouts.

--
JHG

Speaking of 'spilling coffee', back when I worked in the drafting office we had these light-green plastic 'pads' on the drawing boards which would really get messy with the pencil lead and just plain grim from your hands and such. Now we were provided spray bottles of so-called 'drawing board cleaner' but it was discovered, quite by accident (as it was claimed, long before I started working there) that using lukewarm black-coffee was the absolute best 'drawing board cleaner' anyone had ever found. So about once ever 3 or 4 months we would have a 'clean-up day' in the office where the janitorial staff would bring in some large trash bins and you would go through discarding any out-of-date material on your reference desk (old prints, obsolete specs, etc.), straighten out book shelves, clean-out drawers, etc. But also we would take the time to clean those light-green 'pads' on the drawing boards and I have to say, this proved to the best use of coffee that I have ever personally encountered, seeing that I've never had a cup of coffee in my life (I did have a half a cup when I was 14-years old, but that's a story for another time and place ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

John,
I will have to try that, I had never heard of that method, I just happen to have a light green pad on my board out the back.
I used to use a substance that was a first cousin to chewing gum that would pick up dirt from the drawing and or the pad.

Drawoh,
Thats the way I started, with a chisel point, making thick downstrokes and thin upstrokes, and no lettering guide, with a checker who made you re-do it if the lettering was not good enough. I also found that a very sharp 5H pencil would cut vellum if you were not careful.They worked better on Mylar.
Later I moved to another company who insisted that everybody use lettering guides,oh well.
B.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back