Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where did decorative lettering go? Lets bring it back!!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SethWCE

Civil/Environmental
Feb 27, 2012
US
I prepare a lot of parcel maps, surveys, engineering plans, etc., in my field (Civil Engineering) and when you look at old parcel maps you always see large decorative lettering stating the title of the map or subdivision. Sometimes a decorative North Arrow as well. This lettering was hand drawn of course (as everything was back then), and to me it was quite beautiful. Sometimes it had a lot of decorative calligraphy, scrollwork, hatching, shading, etc. You just don't see that anymore with everything done on computers. Everyone just picks a font that comes with their PC and goes with it. Hand drawing use to be an art form. For someone who loves drafting, and believes we have gained so much by CAD, I think we have also lost a lot of the "art" of drafting.

Lets bring back this dying art. Lets show that engineering is not just lines on paper. It can be beautiful too.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about a 'Leroy Set'...

il_fullxfull.216817421.jpg

...which we used for the really 'critical' drawings.

We also had a "Verityper"...

varityper1.jpg

...that was mostly used to 'type' parts lists onto assembly drawings (these jobs were usually given to a clerk or one of the typist on the office).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Now I am consumed with envy John, My Leroy set only has the leatherette case and 3 different pen sizes,instead of the wooden box, however it does have a pencil holder for a 2mm pencil lead.
The verityper I never used.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back