Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Where would you like to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knoxij

Electrical
Jun 9, 2005
US
If you had nothing tying you down and could move anywhere in the United States to work, where do you think you would like to live/work?

I've seen some lists of the "Top 10 Places to Live in America" and things of that nature, but I wanted to see some opinions from people actually living in various areas across the country/world.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd buy me a big RV and just move around and see the off-roading parks (with trail rig in tow) and historical sites in the US. I'd work, if I still had to via laptop, in my remote office.

If I had to pick a place to live it would be Moab, UT in the spring/summer and Tellico Plains, TN/Murphy, NC in the fall/winter and just wheel year round! ;)

Brian
Pressure Vessels and Autoclave Systems

The above comments/opinions are solely my own and not those of McAbee Construction.

I need to find a place that is kinder to arthritis. This changing between hot and humid, cold and damp, and gloomy rainy days is starting to do me in. Maybe Arizona or New Mexico?

I really don't have an answer to that question. There is so much to see in the world! So many wonderful places to visit. I know I've not lived and travelled enough to pick just one place.

I guess I'm just glad to have my family and friends, so anywhere they are if fine by me. I don't mind being tied down, as long as I still get to do some travelling to see all those wonderful places. I'll have to add some from this thread to my list of places to visit.

Of the places I have been:
One place I love to visit is Crater Lake, Oregon. It is BEAUTIFUL, and so peaceful. Other favorites are a view of Salt Lake from the moutains in Utah, the rural areas of France, view of the mountains from the plains in Colorado, and DC when the cherry trees are blooming.

casseopeia

If you hear someone cheering you on with a thick Scottish brogue, you'll know who it is.

metengr

If St. Thomas or the US Virgin Islands has the same legislation as Texas, MadMango would happily settle for "garbage man"

In reverse order:

One of the Hawaiian islands. We had our honeymoon there last year.

The far north-west of Scotland. Torridon; Knoydart; Letterewe: you can trek for days and never see another human. Stunningly beautiful in winter.

Newcastle-on-Tyne. To a Geordie boy, everywhere else you live is just somewhere you're visiting on your way back home.

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

Well, paying $20 to 50/month more on hurricane insurance seems a good deal for the previlege of living in paradise. If you are not a home owner or comply with new building codes there is nothing to worry about. Depending on the region of Florida you live in you maybe face a hurricane one day in a decade.

I've lived on both coasts (6 cities on the west coast), and a bunch of places in between. I've worked all over the world. I retired to the Four Corners area on purpose. The mountains are incredible. The elevation is high enough to have mild summers and the latitude is low enough to have mild winters. No hurricanes. No tornado's. No earthquakes (in the last few centuries). Dry air is good for old bones.

David

Hey Vooter, what was it about Barstow? I visted friends there many times (I'm from the UK) but can't quite understand why you would pick there - The desert is glorious round Joshua Tree though.

The Auvergne or Park Morvan regions of France take some beating as do the food and wine.

And Newcastle on Tyne. Yes. Perhaps one of the greatest phoenix from the flame stories in the UK. What a place.

Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina
In the morning
No one could be sweeter than my sweetie when I meet her
In the morning
Where the morning glories twine around the door
Whispering pretty stories I long to hear once more
Strolling with my girlie where the dew is pearly early
In the morning
Butterflies all flutter up and kiss each little buttercup
at dawning
If I had Aladdin's lamp for only a day
I'd make a wish and here's what I'd say
In the morning!

In the morning
No one could be sweeter than my sweetie when I meet her
In the morning
Where the morning glories twine around the door
Whispering pretty stories I long to hear once more
Strolling with my girlie where the dew is pearly early
in the morning
Butterflies all flutter up and kiss each little buttercup
at dawning
If I had Aladdin's lamp for only a day
I'd make a wish and here's what I'd say
Carolina in the morning!

Good luck,
Latexman

Hey Andyenergy,

What brought you up to Geordieland?

I'm marooned in Teesside, living among the Smogmonsters[sup]*[/sup], but it sure beats living in London. Just waiting for a power plant to be built within commuting distance of Newcastle and I'm outta here!

[sup]*[/sup] There is a huge rivalry between the inhabitants of the City of Newcastle and the two towns of Sunderland and Middlesbrough. Geordies from Newcastle, Makems from Sunderland, and Smoggies from Middlesbrough. In case anyone was wondering!

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

andyenergy, Barstow had weather that appealed to me, decent views, much, much cheaper and less pretentious than New York city (where I live). And there's this night club called, I think it was... darn! Can't remember the name! Anyway, premium beers at $2.75 each - on a Friday in April 2005 yet - and excellent "talent" on the dancefloor. Close enough to the coast for beach excursions, etc.

One of our research scientists told me a story about a vacation he took that sounded very similar to metengr's experience. There was a fellow who worked independently selling drinks on the beach. He would make them in cocunut shells, and sell them for $5.00 each. After watching him for an hour or so, the research scientist realized that since this fellow worked in a cash-only business, if he reported no income tax then he actually cleared about the same amount as the scientist did. But this fellow also had an ideal environment with incredible scenery, very low stress, and no deadlines to meet. Ah, that sounds like a work environment that I could get used to!

Maui

Vooter - wouldn't have been rudy's would it? I rememer Katz on Main street and the Chilli Bowl. One of the reasons i ended up in barstow was because its mentioned in the first line of Fear and loathing in Las Vegas. I always found West side US amazing - PCH1, Arizona and Utah are just incredible. Never been east side of the US - have been concentrating on France recently.

ScottyUK - I came from and lived in yorkshire more than 20 years ago, my girfriend at the time got a job in Newcastle and I visited often. More recently I'm living in the South West but often travel to visit companies doing work for our stations in either Gateshead or Sunderland. Always stay on the Quayside when |I can and have even been for weekend breaks there. Very friendly people, always up for a party, and I love the accent.

Andy

vooter and andyenergy

Barstow is'nt too bad a town and some of the residents are incredible.....I believe that's where ALF lived with Willie and Kate. [wink]

Aha! It was, in fact, Rudy's! Great DJ, clean place, roomy, comfortable, awesome "local talent."

...and it's on the way to Las Vegas, yes indeed...

...and it's where Route 66 Starts/Ends and there's even a "Route 66" Museum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back