Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Digital Relay? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eti

Electrical
Aug 16, 2002
GB
Hi all

I have a large number of old GEC relays to replace and have been looking at the digital relays on offer. I can't see much between them in terms of function. I got a long list down to GE Multilin, Schneider SEPAM, Areva MIDOS and Siemens SIPTOTEC.

Does anyone have experiecne of how reliable and user friendly these products are?

Regards

eti

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi All. Thanks for your advice, all very useful. It's come down to GE, Siemens and Areva. Integrating the GE relays look like the easiest job to engineer (Yes LOADXFER I'm doing that all by ma wee self and I do know how to engineer it. I fact, I might even fit them myself just for the fun of it!). I like the way the GE lock-out function integrates with our safe system of work. I think Siemens offer the best engineered product, it's very impressive and quite intuitive. Areva support has been quick, effective and delivered by guys who know my particular field.

I'm steering very heavily towards GE at the moment. Big decision is Wednesday.

Cheers

eti

I've nothing against GE's products but the only time I've seen their protection relays in the UK has been as part of a packaged unit, typically a CCGT power island comprising of gas and steam turbines, generator, and the auxiliary plant associated with the turbine-generator. Balance of Plant stuff has almost always been Areva / Alstom.

Does your client not have any preference? They might find that it is difficult to get experienced field support within the UK for a relatively uncommon family of relays. That said, the modern test sets are so powerful that in some ways testing has dumbed down because of the level of automation available, except when something peculiar starts happening and things can suddenly get rather complicated trying to fathom out what is going on!

Do I guess from your accent that you're from the other side of The Wall? Hadrian should've built it a bit higher. [tongue]

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Ah Scotty

That all depends on what side your on?? I'm north, but only just.

Support for GE is a bit of a concern but I've seen their guys quite a bit lately on another project. Not directly employed but part of a good network.

Your spot on about testing. Lots of kit today tests the software and not much more. I want a system in place for this plant that achieves quite a bit more. We won't go all the way to PI (far too difficult) but we will test more than the relay itself. We have designed in test points that will allow access test CT's, cabling, lock-outs separately, trip circuits etc without too much difficulty. One step beyone the usual test block. Lots more cabling though! We'll see how it all work.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back