Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which has a lower processing overhead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterGuy

Automotive
Jan 15, 2003
GB
I am writing a program process data from an analogue capture card and am going to push the data into excel. There are two way I know of achieving this -
Directly by setting object references to excel and putting the data into the cells.
or
Using ADO with excell as the DB.
Which one of these has the lower processing overhead in the parent application/thread.

Many thanks

Pete

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

writing (and reading) data directly into excel cells is in my experience orribly slow, no direct experience with ado interface and excel. Consider writing data in text file and the import with excel (this is fast).

have a good luck

I am supporting both txt & xls storage formats & bench marking to determine the maximum sample rate. FYI: to write 18 doubles to excel with .EnableCalculation = False & .ScreenUpdating = False takes 15ms on a P4 2000, 26ms on a AMD XP1700+ & 120ms on a PII 500 and thats with out sampling & number bashing. it's also unfortunate as the the target m/c is the PII as it is currently unused. On the bright side the logging requires a slow rate (currently done manually every 10 mins).

Many thanks

Pete

I have just run the same test with timers on txt files & result is as follows on AMD1700+ 18 doubles every 0.036768ms writing to an open file. Opening, writing & closing comes out @ 2.5958ms for the same 18 doubles

Hummm

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back