Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which textbook for Prestressed Concrete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sema79

Structural
Apr 28, 2008
US
Hey everyone,
In a few weeks I will be starting a new job at a firm that designs exclusively in prestressed concrete. I have never dealt with prestressed concrete before but am eager to learn all I can. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good textbook/design guide?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I recommend Nawy, though I see someone else didn't like that. I have texts from Nilson and another from Collins and I always return to Nawy.

The PCI handbook and PCI bridge handbook are both beneficial.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

You might consider joining The American Concrete Institute (ACI) and The Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI), for what you can learn and/or contribute by being a member, and for their publications at member prices. T. Y. Lin had one of the original bibles on prestressed concrete, “Design of Prestressed Concrete Structures, Pub. by John Wiley & Sons.” This should be particularly good for the early thinking, design and engineering on the subject. Undoubtedly, there will be newer texts which comply more closely with the current specs. and codes, maybe Lin’s text in a later edition.

If you are actually doing just precast, then I'd recommend the LEAP software manual since that is what I have seen produced for most (read-all) precast element designs in shop drawing submittals. As a designer of precast, but not the strand layouts and such, Nawy and the PCI manual was all I ever needed.

Merry Christmas

Thanks everyone for all of the response!

dhengr, I was looking at joining the PCI last night. I think I will go ahead and do it.

Does anyone know which PCI code is the most current? I found a 2004 print of the PCI Design Handbook on Amazon but wasn't sure if there is a newer one already out or about to come out.

Just a follow up on the text I bought in case anyone was interested. I got Prestressed Concrete A Fundamental Approach, Fifth Edition by Edward G. Nawy. So far the explanations seem to be pretty easy to follow. I do have one problem....There are no answers to any of the problems at the end of the chapters. I cannot find a solution manual or any of the correct answers listed anywhere. My normal way of learning is to just start working problems but now, unfortunatley, I cannot tell if I have worked the problems correctly or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back