Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Which Video Card are you running SWX '06 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behindpropellers

Feb 23, 2005
US
I have been researching video cards so I can build a workstation for SWX 2006. I am currently running a laptop, but with my project getting more and more parts it is not cutting it. After reading the FAQs which are 1-2 years old I am curious what people are running. I am looking for good or bad feedback to help me make my decision.

Thanks

Tim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ctopher-

I did search through the FAQs, as I said in my post. I wanted to get an idea of what people were running in their systems. Which card are you currently running? I would just like to get an overall idea. Most of the FAQs are more than a year old. When you buy a computer do you use the reviews that are a year old?

Tim

I know, but I got a great deal on it (new). No problems. IMO, it depends on overall system and settings.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

The only laptop I've used with success is a Fujitsu of my client's. It's one of the models with the full keyboard (including number pad) and wide display--works great unless you open too many applications and SolidWorks windows at one time. I have no idea the model number or graphics card, but have been surprised it does better than any of my other clients' desktops, even with large assemblies.

My system uses an FX-500 (nVidia), and does OK. Getting more graphical glitches on the screen with SW 2006 and plan to upgrade systems with at least an FX-1400.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

You can't got to a 1400 unless you are running PCI-E Motherboard. The 500 is an AGP card and uses a different slot. Yes there are PCI slots on your MB but and PCI-E slot is different and you need to have one of those... unless you are getting a new board all together.

I use the Quadro FX500 on one machine and the Quadro FX1100 on another machine... no problems with either of them.

support69 [conehead]

I have the Quadro FX 3000 in my Dell Precision 360.

I'm setting up a new system for work and play. Configuring an Xi.

I'm building for the future, and am going to pick up a dream machine. Im forking the money for this:

AMD® Athlon™ 64 FX-60 64Bit Dual Core (DC4200) 2x1024KB Cache HyperTransport

4096MB DDR 400MHz PC3200 4x1024MB ECC Dual Rank Interleave

nVidia® Quadro FX 3400 256MB PCIe 2x DVI Dual Head SLI Capable

... but someone convince me to go nuts, spend an extra 900 and get an nVidia® Quadro FX 4500 512MB PCIe 2x DVI Dual Head SLI Capable. I am gonna run more than just SW.

Hopefully I can afford dual 24's someday.

rfus

My suggestion for SW would be a Quadro card (500FX and up, model depends on how much $$ you are willing to spend). Second would be a 3DLabs card (I am running a Wildfire VP990 with no problems dual 21") then Fire GL (ATI seem to have the most problems when it comes to SW).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back