Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

who can answer one question about sketch plane (SOLIDWORKS2004)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jilin

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2004
CA
Suppose I want to make a circle on XY plane, I choose XY plane first then make a circle on it. But the circle is put on the YZ plane automatically. if I want to make sketch on ZX plane, the sketch is also put on the YZ plane automatically.
May be some button,menu or item is set wrongly? I have no idea about it.

Best wishes,

David Shen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you selecting the XY plane from the graphics area or from the FM tree? If it's from the tree, make sure the name matches what the actual plane is or should be.
XY = Front Plane
XZ = Top PLane
YZ = Right Plane

Also, are you coming from Solid Edge (or some similar off-world environment)? For some mystical reason, SE has chosen to have their Y & Z axis in reverse to the "accepted norm". Their Y runs normal to the screen & their Z runs vertical ... go figure ... at least they managed to get the X right.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[ponder] What happens if you get scared half to death twice? [ponder]

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your answers.
I'm talking about sketch in 3D.
I select plane from both graphics area and from the FM trees,but the result is the same. In other words, there are 3 planes in a coordinate system.The SOLIDWORKS just allows me to make a sketch on one plane. If I choose the other 2 planes, the sketch is put on the plane which is chosen by software itself. Half month ago, the software had no any problems.

Best regards,

David Shen

As far as I know, you cannot sketch a circle in a 3D sketch directly. You can convert entities to do so. So are you truly working with a 3D sketch?

Hi,Regg and CorBlimeyLimey,
May be I didn't say my question clearly. The question is that firstly I make a sketch of rectangle, then I extrude the rectangle to become a cubic block.I want to make sketch on the different surfaces of the cubic block. I select the surface, then make sketch on it. But the all sketches are put on one surface automatically not the surface you want.

I appreciate your time.

David Shen

Hi,

Maybe you should check if you by misstake checked the Create sketch on new part option.

Tools/Options/System options/Sketch/Create sketch on new part

If you have checked that option SW will create a new sketch before you been able to choose where you want it.

Regards,

Sam

To add to what SAWH just wrote, you can try to "Edit Sketch Plane". Select the sketch, right mouse click on it, go down a couple of selections to "Edit Sketch Plane". In the dialogue box labeled Sketch Plane/Face it will identify the plane the sketch currently resides on. Note that the part's FM is compacted and in the part window. Click on the "+" to expand it as necessary to select the named plane you want or go to the part face and select the feature face you want the sketch to be on. If this doesn't work there is something seriously wrong and you should repair your installation.

Let us know your results.

- - -Dennyd, P.E.

David,

I think that this is what you are looking for:

When creating a 3D sketch, by default, you sketch relative to the default coordinate system in the model. To switch to one of the other two default planes, click the desired sketch tool, and press the Tab key. The origin of the current sketch plane is displayed.

To change the coordinate system for your 3D sketch, click the desired sketch tool, hold down the Ctrl key, and click a plane, a planar face, or a user-defined coordinate system.

If you select a plane or a planar face, the 3D sketch planes rotate so that the XY sketch plane is aligned with the selected item.

If you select a coordinate system, the 3D sketch planes rotate so that the XY sketch plane is parallel to the XY plane of the coordinate system.

Jon

if your sketch does not need to be a 3D sketch you can just sketch on the surface or plane you wish. There is nothing more to it than that, it sounds like you are trying to use a 3d sketch where you dont need to.

David Shen,
I am not saying this is your problem. But, one of our designers was have an issue with drawing a rectangle onto plane2. His sketch would always be put on plane1.
What he was doing was picking plane2, but was really drawing on plane1.

For you to check for something like this, is when you are in sketch mode, hit the space bar. Now click *Normal To. What ever you see is what you would be sketching on.

Bradley

jilin
Thanks for the clarification. According to your first post this morning, What you are actually trying to do is create a 2D sketch on a face of a solid (3D) part.
If you are simply selecting a face then starting to draw, then you should automatically be in a 2D sketch on the selected face ... even if you selected the 3D sketch tool by mistake.

I have tried to reproduce what is happening to you, but no matter which method I use, my sketch is placed correctly.

1) What version of SW & SP are you using?
2) Have you recently updated SW or added a Service Pack?
3) Have you recently installed any other programs?
4) Have you installed Windows XP SP2?
5) Can you change the plane the sketch is drawn on by Using "Edit Sketch Plane"?
6) Have you tried repairing your SW installation? See faq559-908

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[ponder] What happens if you get scared half to death twice? [ponder]

and the $4000 question...

Where did you get your copy of SolidWorks?

If there is an issue with a corrupt installation, your VAR should be available for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back