Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who makes a 345kV power voltage transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcwebb

Civil/Environmental
Jan 10, 2005
US
Needed for station service at remote substation;

50kVA

Primary voltage 345kV

Secondary voltage- 120/240VAC

Accuracy of 0.3%ZZ or better

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Station Service" and 0.3%ZZ don't usually go together. Is this for metering or station service power?

Check ABB. Or Google "high voltage instrument transformers".

pcwebb-

No one to my knowledge (and I work for an instrument transformer company in the US) makes PVT's above 230 kV. At 345 kV about the best you're going t oget is a VT with a thermal burden of about 10 kVA at most. We have sold some in 3-phase sets to deliver a 3-phase power of 30 kVA.

To DPC's question, it is possible to have a PVT with a metering winding. The metering winding can be set to be accurate at full load (i.e. when the PVT is supplying station power) or it can be set to be accurate when the PVT is not supplying station power. A typical application is to have the PVT as a back-up source for station power, in which it is used under normal conditions for metering/protect, and in the event of loss of primary station power, it can step and provide needed power. Of course, under this arrangement it will not deliver metering accuracy when used for station power.

ABB got out of PVTs in the US when they closed their plant in Bloomington, IN. They are really on in instrument transformers now up to 34.5 kV in the US.

DPC-
I'm pretty sure Trench does not. You can check with them, but I'm about 99.9% sure they don't. I work for Ritz (now part of Areva) and we are only 1 of 2 companies that go up to 230 kV for PVTs for the North American market.

Yes...ABB still has HV IT's outside of the US. I believe they produce in Sweden, in addition to other factories around the world.

pcwebb,
Check with Kuhlman. They are making station service transformers that have a high primary voltage for applications that are remote. Don't know if they can get the accuracy you need though.

Check this, I know they do.

Legal Name: Pauwels Canada Inc.
Operating Name: Pauwels Canada Inc.

Mailing Address
101 Rockman St.
WINNIPEG, Manitoba
R3T 0L7
Location Address
101 Rockman St.
WINNIPEG, Manitoba
R3T 0L7

Website URL:

Hey wait a minute. Isn't 345 kV the L-L voltage? And why would anyone have a L-L connected station service transformer?

If 345 kV is indeed the L-L voltage, the L-G voltage is 199 kV, within range of Kuhlman's 230 kV limit.

Trench will quote a 345kV, SF6 Insulated, 50kVA, 120/240V, +/- 3%, estimated $90-100K

Made in Germany

Thanks for your comments

pcwebb-

First I've ever heard of an SF6 PVT. I'm surprised they can meet the temperature rise requirement with SF6 insulation.

You might want to see a type test report (I would hopefully make the same recommendation if I wasn't a competitor, so take it with a grain of salt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back