Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why can't I rotate this simple rectangle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamstar

Aerospace
Nov 4, 2008
US
HI there,
I have modeled a simple motorcycle footpeg as an exercise to learn NX6...
I have the following problem... I have sketched a rectangle on one of its side but while trying to rotate the rectangle using "move object", it tells me that I cannot do it because it has constraints but I have absolutely no constrainsts or dimensions on the rectangle. I have attached that model and left the rectangle on a layer for you to see. I'd love to know what I am doing wrong... And why I cannot rotate this simple rectangle.

Thank you
Max

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, to start with, there actually IS a 'constraint' on you sketch, one of the lines has a Horizontal constraint assigned to it.

But I don't think that's going to help you much since the Sketch is NOT a traditional 'object' but rather a Feature. It would be like using Move Object to try to move a Hole or a Boss feature. Therefore you should try using...

Edit -> Feature -> Move...

Granted, this is still an old function with old style dialogs and not many options, but it does work.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John,
Thank you for the quick response.
I have just tried to rotate the sketch using EDIT>FEATURE>MOVE as per your advice, but as you mentioned, that function has older design and I cannot figure out how to rotate between 2 axis. Is there an easier way to rotate sketches in NX6?

Also you mentioned that my way of using MOVE OBJECT to move a feature like a boss is less than ideal. What is the best method to rotate or move a rectangular boss?

Lastly, you mentioned that I have a constraint on my sketch... would you kindly tell me how to "see" all the constraints on a particular sketch?

Thank you

Max

The move between two axis, while it can be very handy when you are attempting to align items, is not as convenient when trying to perform a simple rotate by some number of degrees, however what you're asked to do is to define a point of rotation and then select a reference axis and then a second axis, and the system will rotate the selected feature about the point until the second axis is parallel to reference axis.

For moving objects (features) which are attached to some other body, use the Feature -> Move function.

As for seeing all of the constraints assigned to a sketch, there is an Icon which will turn ON the display of all geometric constraints assigned to the Sketch. It's just a couple of icons to the right of the icon for turning on constraint creation.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back