Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why drum brakes? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

floattuber

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2006
US
Why do manufacturers use drum brakes on passenger cars/trucks rather than disk brakes? Because of their simplicity, it seems like disks would be cheaper to build plus they stop better. What advantage do they have over disks?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pat, at least some of the mechanisms that apply rear pads have proven to be somewhat less than good. In severe cases the pad(s) will over-adjust and then not retract leaving you with a very warm wheel or one that stops rolling. Cost me a caliper on my '95 Mazda a couple of years ago, remanufactured because it is no longer available new.

I'm not sure I follow the complaint regarding reducing the rear brake bias by 40%. The harder you stop the less you want the rear brakes to be contributing. But if brake bias is always biased to the front to suit the most severe braking the rears will be under-utilized in easier events (which is arguably the majority of the time for production vehicles).

Norm

Norm

I did specify if designed correctly. I know some are no correctly designed.

I would thin it is more important for the brakes to be balanced on the rare occasion that they ar used hard than on the many occasions they are used lightly. I base this on the potential for the cost of the consequences vs the likelihood of the results.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Precisely why there are proportioning valves, since bilinear biasing is better than no variability at all. I don't think this is confined to rear disc brake systems, as I replaced a prop valve in a disc/drum braked car about four years ago.

Norm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back