Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Why not a 4 Cyl diesel in a light truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

patdaly

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2002
US
Other than the obligatory "people had a bad experience with GM", is there a technical reason we do not have a single manufacturer that builds a typical 1/2 ton pickup with a decent diesel? If they can get them to pass automotive emissions ( Volkswagen, Mercedes, and now Jeep ), why not a decent 1/2 ton PU? I know GM's association with Isuzu would let them use the beautiful little diesel they make, and Dodge's contracts with Cummins would make the ISB 3.9/3.3 a natural. It would appear to me as if both of these tough as nails diesels would offer at least 35 MPG, with more than acceptable performance. Couple that with 300,000 mile plus durability and I would think fleets, contractors, etc. would buy them in great numbers.

Comments?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At the risk of having this thread pulled again, I will say this, both Ford and Dodge are in process of making a 1/2 ton Diesel truck.

They wont have a 4 cylinder, and they wont get 30 plus MPG.

At this point it appears Dodge will have a 5.8L V-8 and offer 22-24 MPG, not sure of the specs on the Ford.

If we want it, we will still have to homebrew it boys.

I've been a Dodge man for most of my life, owning several over the years (my 77 went 380,000+ miles on the original engine and the the reason it was sold...you could see the road through the floorboards) and I doubt that at my age and the fact that my 91 Cummins/Dodge duelly will no doubt outlast me makes buying a new truck anytime soon improbable. None the less, I took a look at the new Toyota and I liked it. I don't like little half tons because they are usually station wagon chassis with a fancy body...Buuut...That Toyota was mighty beefy looking. Maybe if I hit the lotto...naw, gotta buy a ticket first!

Rod

Interesting discussion.

I just bought a 1/2 ton Chev, that I plan to put a small camper on. I didn't want the heavier truck, poor MPG and poor ride empty.

Being a "big" guy, I wanted the full size truck, not the smaller versions, and I also want(dream) MPG close to 20 on the road unloaded. It seems that maybe the 07's might do this now, but that's way to much money.

I used to work for Cummins in engine development, and like diesels, but I probably wouldn't buy one in a light truck. If I upgrade to a heavier rig maybe, but the extra $$ for the diesel probably would make me stick with gas.

As for diesel in 1/2 tons, the cost of the engine would have to come way down before they would sell, and the noise/vibraton/power would have to match the gas engines.

Dan

Danlindberg--any thoughts on the Daimler CRD for the '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee? From the pricing I have seen, it looks like about a $2500 option, although it will only be available in vehicles thar are fully loaded to start with. So you are looking at around $43,000 list.

danlindberg

Have you ever heard the expression, "only in America".

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The world can be a big place and a small place at the same time it seems.

My own employer, Frod Munter Co. Europe, has apparently been asked by FMC USA to look into providing some of the vehicles made in Europe and marketed in the rest of the world (i.e. not the USA) into the US market. This will include diesel options. As mentioned elsewhere, 49-state emissions compatibility is effectively available.
The Ford PUMA diesel engine will probably be the one that enters the US market in the Transit van. The current range is up to 3½ tonne GVW / 2 tonne payload.
Possibly the Peugeot DW10/DW12 engines in the saloon.cars.
The current Mondeo is advertised at up to 43mpg(US) with a six-speed box.

PUMA/Transit Mondeo

Bill

When I am in Central America my ride is a "93 Nissan 4 door, 4x4 with a 2.7 diesel. Not much power but awesome mileage.
I would love to drive it back to Canada but regulations would stop me at the border. The 4 door is banned by Canadian seat belt regulations and the diesel engine probably won't be acceptable on the cruddy North American fuel.
Consider the change in infrastructure (In dollars) required to upgrade both the quality and distribution systems to supply diesel to the light vehicle market. (Light as in less than a semi-trailer). The next issue would be a drastic shift in the proportions of gasoline and diesel to be extracted from the crude oil. Am I being a conspiracy theorist if I suspect that the oil companies like things the way they are and are quietly resisting any expensive changes?
Are you a conspiracy theorist if there really is a conspiracy?
respectfully

I would like to have a small diesel truck. I currently have three Mercedes diesel cars and a Chevrolet S10. I like the size of the S10, but I like the torque and efficiency of a diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back