Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why won't guides in Bluesurf command work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiemannironworks

Mechanical
Nov 19, 2004
US
I have a section of a cast component I am attempting to model. I have generated the cross sections and connected them using a tangent continuous set of curves that I want to be my guides for the Bluesurf. The Bluesurf works fine but when I attempt to introduce the guide curves, SEv18 is either ignoring them altogether or retaining the straight line surfaces and just adding a knife thin section that follows the guide curves. I have spent the last two hours going over the tutorials and cannot find anywhere that I am going wrong, I even tried Segurucool's shampoo bottle tutorial from his site and I cannot get it to work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you switch to 'Guide Curve Step' after generating the cross sections? You need to click the 'Guide Curve Step' button on the Ribbon Bar.
Another problem I could think of is that the guide curve is not connected to all the cross sections.

Just a hunch, hope this helps.

I switched to 'Guide Curve Step' to establish the guide curves. My guide curves are attached to the sketches as well. SE won't allow the guide curves to work unless they are connected. I've tried all of the options as well.

Thanks for the help.

How do I go about connecting the curves with a blue dot? I saw the Curve Connectivity in the BlueSurf Options, but it did not make any difference on which of these I selected.

Wiemann,

You mentioned in your original post that you couldn't get the bottle tutorial to work from SEGurucool's site. This is an indication that you are doing something wrong. Do you have a file that someone could take a look at for you?

David

Hi,

Did you try to use Swept surface instead. This should apply the guide curve to the whole surface whereas bluesurf acts more like lofted protrusion (or surface) and only applies the guide curve locally.

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back