Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wide span gambrel trusses over an elevated floor system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Cammack

Structural
Jan 19, 2024
US
Hello,

I am working with a client who is wanting custom airplane hanger with a second story above. He wants it framed all wood but I think he is starting to understand that there will be steel. Anyways, we are trying to span a fully open (no webs) gambrel truss over a 50' span without needing supports in the middle of the span. This will be over a elevated beam and girder floor system that will likely be tied into steel bearing wall at the 50' span. With the client wanting the trusses to be wood, my engineer and I agree that it is going to have to be steel. I sent this to some vendors just for fun and to my surprise received this drawing this morning. My question for you; have you ever seen any designs like this with this size and complexity of glulam that are using plywood for web supports? With these being on a second story how would the thrust force be supported? Through the floor system or the bearing walls?

Any insight or ideas is greatly appreciated.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=383d90ae-f0c5-4960-a2ce-62cd66bedd12&file=Alpine_-_50'_Gambrel_Rafter_drawings.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The thing they drew could not be built and shipped in one piece. And it would have one hell of a horizontal reaction.

There's not a lot of detail on that. I wonder if it was just a preliminary design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back