Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will AutoCAD 3D change engineering? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

daylight211

Civil/Environmental
Oct 16, 2006
US
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm researching the idea of upgrading from a 2d version of AutoCAD (2004 with LDD) to a 3d version for use in the site design/ land develoment field. Is 3d the way of the future? Will companies that do not upgrade to 3d be left in the dust? Will the companies that use 3d effectively create a superior product? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Will AutoCAD 3D change engineering?" ... No.

"Will AutoCAD 3D change civil engineering?" ... No more than than any other 3D civil engineering package.

"Is 3D the way of the future?" ... Yes.
"Will companies that do not upgrade to 3d be left in the dust?" ... Probably not for quite a while yet, but eventually, yes.

"Will the companies that use 3d, effectively create a superior product?" ... Not necessarily.

"Will the companies that use 3d effectively, create a superior product?" ... Quite likely.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

It may send the world of engineering back into the days of drafting departments and drafters. After all, engineers can't be expected to work on all that fancy software when there's business development to be done...

I believe that 3D is definitely the way of the future. Here's a similar example: 10 years ago, most video games were 2D, now all video games are 3D. If your company is going to put out a 2D game today, the rate of successful is minimal. This is a world of 3D now. That's just how I feel about this situation.

rnip

There are already lots of 3D packages out there, some specific to drafting others to engineering design. There is no doubt that 3D is useful but I doubt it will a life changer for your company.

A lot of work that civil engineers do can be completed as effectively with 2D tools. And for anything other than really complicated designs 2D is fine. You may find the additional benefit of doing all your work in 3D may be limited. For really complex designs though it is a real help but if your company does a lot of house extensions it might not prove very cost effective.

We use Autocad Inventor at my work and there is no doubt it has its uses, but the majority of our drawings are still just 2D. That said our Norwegian Office does everything in 3D regardless.

3D's a tool, no different than any other tool. It has appropriate and inappropriate uses. I don't do a CAD drawing when a pencil sketch will suffice, and I don't build a 3D model when a to-scale 2D sketch will do. Regardless how good the software becomes, it's still quicker to use the tool appropriate to the task rather than one more sophisicated than required.

All models are garbage in, garbage out. But the results, whether they be a process simulation or a 3D plant model, give the observer a false sense of reality- the exact same way that a digital display gives people a false sense that the result is more precise than a vernier scale etc. It takes a finely honed skepticism based on experience to overwhelm the brain's tendency to turn "seeing" into "believing". 3D models combined with inexperienced observers can easily equal disaster.

I do believe that there are some fields that will not benefit from 3D drawings as much. Civil Engineering is one of those fields because I would not expect to see a building layout in 3D, nor would I expect to see piping layout in 3D. However, I have seen 3D building layouts, and they are impressive, but not needed yet.

However, if you are say in Mechanical, than I do expect to see most of the drawings in 3D on a computer. I want to be able to see everything about parts, not just certain angles. There is a lot of details in parts and if I am looking for a certain area of the part. It is much easier for me to rotate the part to see what I'm looking for inside of trying to find it through pages of 2D drawings.

rnip

3D has already changed the mechanical world, starting around 20 years ago. I agree with the others here that it may not be of as much value in the civil field, at least not until computers are MUCH more powerful, enough to capture ALL of the needed detail of a construction project.

oops...I rushed it.

I do believe that there are some fields that will not benefit from 3D drawings as much. Civil Engineering is one of those fields because I would not expect to see a building layout in 3D, nor would I expect to see piping layout in 3D. However, I have seen 3D building layouts, and they are impressive, but not needed yet.

However, if you are say in Mechanical, than I do expect to see most of the drawings in 3D on a computer. I want to be able to see everything about parts, not just certain angles. There are** a lot of details in parts and if I am looking for a certain area of the part. It is much easier for me to rotate the part to see what I'm looking for instead** of trying to find it through pages of 2D drawings.

rnip

I agree with most of the above, it depends largely on the industry and product.

The more solid models are used the more useful they become, be that for simulation, machining, inspection or whatever.

I fail to see any advantage in 3D over 2D for say a simple shaft; an aeroplane wing is completely different.

Some things are better in 2D I can see no use what so ever in having for example the national grind modelled size, but 2D drawings representing key features obviously do have a use.

My personal belief is that 2D and 3D will move further apart and become totally separate.

We are already using 3D for piping. 3D is helpful especially for adding into existing facilities. You get a much better feel for just how much room there really is, and whether if "I took this out here, and the bend it up here, and then back down that way" really will fit.

3D is a tool. If you don't use it, and everyone else requires it, then yes, you will get left behind - no different than if you are still running Windows98.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Will AutoCAD 3D change engineering?

Did mechanical pencils change engineering?

Did the introduction of Vellum instead of Linen or Mylar instead of Vellum change engineering?

OK so the change from 2D to 3D is probably more significant than the above examples but still just a tool.

As regards a detail response to your actual questions Cor Limey and others cover it rather well.

At least a 3D model would have reduced the chance of the house in which I live being drawn 3rd angle and built first angle (resulting in it being "back to front"!

You know the only ones I find that are really sold on 3D programming is the salesman that is trying to sell you the program, or the computer jockey that is overdosing on the "warm n fuzzy feeling" he get when he generates a "pic"! …In my part of the world clients don't want to spend the extra money to do anything in 3D! Heck alot of times they don't even want a full drawing package ...”just enough to get the job done”. I've done afew 3D projects ...they are "cute", but as it was pointed out the old 2D way was getting the job done alot of years, so I don't see it getting pushed aside anytime soon!
NOW don't get me wrong here, I do see a need for 3D! Any mega-buck project where a client needs to do a "walk-thru" ...makes prefect sense (unless you want to do models again!) But I haven't seen a mega-buck project in 20 years, and IF I ever get one I'd be the first to get a 3D program! ...But until I do, not call me, I'll call you! ...Mark

daylight211,

your discipline is civil/environmental. if you do site design/utility/highway design/terrain modelling then yes 3d modeling will be most helpful (i.e.Autodesk, Eaglepoint). For other applications you will want to meet with your competitors/colleagues as your existing and potential clients will expect whatever state-of-the-art product that is availble and in use in your locale.

I have lived in both the 2D World and the 3D world.

3D as a mechanical solution is the equivalent jump as from paper drawings to 2D AutoCAD. There is no comparison for the design speed of making parts and then assemblies - checking interferences- FEA analysis - and quick generation of machining drawings from the models (assuming you use a parametric software package).

I wouldn't be able to comment on the specific benefits in Civil work. However, the benefit in mechanical design situations at this time are so immense that I would assume anyone using AutoCad in a mechanical design project would most likely be carrying club as well.

roadapple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back