Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will this workstation be decent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6c

Mechanical
Sep 26, 2014
US
New to eng-tips....
Needing to replace my older workstation so I can get SW upgraded. I'm a one-man home shop user of SW so I don't need, or can afford, a top of the line system. Some of my work is simple stuff, but I do some injection mold modeling that can be fairly complex.

Of most concern is the video card...Want to make sure I'll be satisfied with it's performance. What can I expect from it for speed and image quality? Never used a dual monitor setup before but they look nice. Any problem with SW using this video card for dual monitors?

Any other hardware considerations I should think about?

Dell T3600
E51620 3.6 processor
16 GB
Nvidia Q2000 Tx600 Dual monitor video card
320 GB Hard Drive
Win 7 Pro 64

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Forgot to mention....will be using this workstation to do CNC programming too. Either MasterCam or some other similar CAM software.

That card should really be all you ever need. not sure what you mean by speed and IQ. speed... anything above 25fps is usually dandy. Quality... well it'll show you lines and faces and edges so you should be pretty right! ;)

If it was me... (and i'm assuming here that the CPU you listed is a Xeon so correct me if i'm wrong)... i'd ditch that CPU and just get a 4790(K) and be done with it. The difference for your listed usage will be negligible and you'd be better off putting the coin into SSD's for reading/writing SW files to/from and for general system performance.

Hope this helps in some way. Feel free to post any follow up questions.

Hercalloy,
Thanks for the reply.

By "image quality" I was meaning how well it will render images. The had the Photoworks option (can't remember what they call it now). Wasn't sure how the card would perform if I try to do some photorealistic rendering.

You think the i7 4790 is a better choice? That's what I had in mind when I started looking at Dell, but it seems most of what they're using is the Xeon processors, except in the lower end machines.

Seems like Dell has changed the way they sell workstations. Used to be able to choose from several options on about every component. Now, once you choose the base model, there are only a few things you can change. I'm going to have to call them and see what I can get.

D6c,
PhotoWorks has been replaced with PhotoView360 (PV360) and it uses the CPU to render, not the GPU.
SW benefits most from the highest CPU clock speed for modelling & rendering. Lots of fast RAM also helps.

Hi D6c,

Oh ok. Yeah as CBL says.. rendering is one on the CPU so the quality depends on how you set up your scene. Unless you're referring to the real time view port style rendering.. in which case.. it'll be more then fine quality wise for that purpose. I'd try to swing the one of the newer cards K2200 if it were me.. just to be on top of the upgrade curve/future proof curve.

CPU Wise... yes i'd go with higher clocked CPUs over a Xeon any day of the week. And now with Devil's Canon CPU's out you dont even have to get your fingers wet in overclocking to have a very fast system right off the bat.

Don't be fooled by marketing BS. "Workstation" is just a fancy term for "Faster then normal spec PC with way over priced components then *some* people really need". Again as CBL just noted... SW is more clock speed dependent for its every day functions so that's where you want to be. Sure you would gain some time in rendering (as you've mentioned you may do some of that). But I'll bet you'll spend more time in SW then with it rendering. So that little gain would be miss spent focusing on rendering and not SW's everyday usage speed.

I'd also check with other builders, like XI. We've purchased four workstations from them in the last couple years and have been very satisfied with the price and performance, and their help in specifying the components for what we do.

Diego

FYI...
I (and a few others here) have a Nvidia Quadro K5000. I'm not happy with it. It's SW certified, but shouldn't be IMO.
I'm going to change it next year.

Pay the extra $ and get a very good card.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks 14
SolidWorks Legion

Get a Solid State Drive its so much faster than the IDE drives.

AMD cards and cheaper but you get what you pay for... We have nothing but graphical problems and crashes all the time with ours and we have more than one type of card with AMD. Don't EVER consider one. Stay with Nvidia, but I agree with ctopher the 5000 is not a good card either. Had one in my laptop when I worked for Berry and it was dog for being a High end card. The Quadro K2000 series seems like the best cards out there to run with Solidworks.

As for CPU I would try for a Quad Core extreme. Those always seemed to run alot faster when running Solidworks and other programs along with it.

You can still browse all the components you have to search for that one that allows you customize all components. I just looked not more than a few weeks ago and was able to get all the options. Just don't go with their base model.

Hope that helps,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Thanks SBauch,
I finally figured out how to fully customize on Dell's site...
Pretty much had settled on Nvida K2000,Xeon E5-1620 with 16 GB Mem and found a refurbished one on Dell Outlet that might save me some dollars.

Then this came up...
A friend that runs a shop has lost his CAD/CNC programmer and is looking for some part time help. Some of the mold modeling (mostly Urethane cast molds) I can do at home but the CNC programming would have to be done onsite. (about 65 miles away)

To take my Solidworks with me, maybe I should be looking at a mobile workstation instead. Is it easy to hook a mobile machine to a larger monitor for better viewing? Don't know much about their configurations....another learning curve. Haven't looked at prices yet...may scare me off.

Does Solidworks ever float a license between two systems? ie: between a desktop and mobile workstation

I agree with Scott about Solid State Drives.

D6c said:
Is it easy to hook a mobile machine to a larger monitor for better viewing? Don't know much about their configurations....another learning curve. Haven't looked at prices yet...may scare me off.
Yes. You plug in the monitor to the laptop, it's easy.

D6c said:
Does Solidworks ever float a license between two systems?
Yes, you can load a home license, or you can borrow the license.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks 14
SolidWorks Legion

Keep watching Dells refurbished laptop workstations. They post some decent setups for a lot less than what it will cost you to buy a new one. However your stuck with what the Refurb has in it. Last I checked the Dell Workstations for a new custom built M4800 was just over $2500 and the M6800 (was on sale) and it was running right around $2800, but normal price would have been around $3500.

Good luck,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I (and a few others here) have a Nvidia Quadro K5000. I'm not happy with it. It's SW certified, but shouldn't be IMO.

make damn sure that you have the correct drivers. they are listed somewhere on the swx page. the newest ones are not always the best.

Ok...One more time and I'll try to put this to bed.

I spec'd out a Dell M4800 mobile workstation (would love M6800 but that's getting really pricy)

Tell me if I've made any poor choices or if I don't need this robust of a workstation.
Comes in at $2500 + 24" monitor & Keyboard

CPU:
i7-4710MQ 2.5GHz/3.5GHz Turbo, 6MB, HD Graphics 4600
Memory:
16 GB 1600mhz Memory
Video Card:
Nvidia Quadro K2100Mw/2GB GDDR5 (best available option for M4800)
LCD Panel:
Ultra Sharp (1920 x 1080)Wide View, Anti Glare, LED Backlit
Hard Drive:
256 GB 2.5" Serial ATA Solid State Drive
(Second hard drive not avail. w/DVD Drive)
DVD:
8x DVD+/- Slot Load

Desktop accessories:
24" Monitor:
Dell U2412M
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse:
Logitech MK520 Combo

I'll try an watch Dell Outlet for a close match, but I need to get something on order soon.

....I remember spending $2500 on my first 80286 PC...ran a whopping 12.7 mHz

get a bigger monitor.
you can save by having an i5 (solidworks doesn't use more then 2 cores, except for FEA and render, but such tasks are not very well performed on a laptop in any case). try to get the highest core speed, even at the expense of # of cores (2 + 2 HT is just fine).
also, if you are on a budget, buy a desktop, they are cheaper then high-end laptops and higher performing.
get an e3 xeon at the most, you don't need e5. and quadro k2000.

Loki3000,
A desktop is what I started looking at, but I'm working with an out of town shop and will need to be portable.
I have a 20" monitor on my current system and might see if I can limp along with it for a while....our might use it as a 2nd monitor.
I'll look into other CPU options.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back