Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind Factor In Intact Stability Calculation??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

seatrendgokhan

Marine/Ocean
Jan 13, 2006
TR
Hi all,

I have heard that a new rule is coming into force soon or might be already in force that i dont follow that wind calculation has to take affect while calculating the intact stability and the booklet shall include that calculation as well.

Is it true ? If it is so , then which rule is it ? where should i refer to ?

Regards,

GOKHAN
Naval Arc.& Marine Eng.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The wind criterion has been around for a long time, at least for the US. For stability booklets, I usually plot allowable GM versus displacement. If the vessel condition's GM is larger than the allowed GM, for the condition's displacement, then the vessel should not sail in the condition under evaluation. Wind is one of the things considered when determining the maximum allowable GM. There are other factors and some of these factors vary on the type of vessel. Tugs have especially stringent criteria that must be met.

Brian E. Trenhaile, P. E.
Naval Architect and Marine Engineer
Hawaii Marine Company

atahawaii

Thanks for the reply, I knew that the wind factor is already taking force in the calculation of Intact Stab. but what i m informed is a new rule which i m not clear about it.

Anyway thanks for your time.

GOKHAN
Naval Arc.& Marine Eng.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back