Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wind Farm Load usage calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

adi 3291

Electrical
Mar 22, 2022
US
We are looking to calculate Max, Nominal and Min "Load Usage" of a Wind plant at Point of Interconnection (POI). As the load usage depends on wind speeds, operating characteristics of turbines, and reactive/capacitive banks consumption in the substation etc. Please share any ideas or tools that you worked on or came across to manually calculate the load usage without the use of simulation Software.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

“Load” being into the wind farm from the transmission the maximum will be on a windless day at minimum ambient temperature with all of the equipment heaters running and no generation. Or, perhaps, at minimum ambient with winds above the cutout speed at all towers.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

Could also be short-term "swells" of load if plant is totally idle, then wind kicks up [or drops back to within production range] but from a different direction than when it died down/went nuts after the last production run; within one minute, all heads/nacelles could be slewing to meet the new wind vector before start-ups commence. This load would be in addition to what davidbeach quoted.

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

This question is stated backwards as to what the utility usually requests.

Generally they will ask what is your Max, Min, Typical Generation.

Max will be the top capacity with all turbines working at max capacity.
Min will be no wind so no generation (no load losses)
Average what you expect to do typically. I imagine you need a wind study (which would have been done by now).

I've also seen them ask for Emergency Max and Min.

I imagine the utility needs to know this in order to do a system study in case they need to install a RAS and/or approve your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back