Wind load effect on the PV system

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendaryEngineer

Civil/Environmental
May 5, 2013
JO
Hi,
I'm a beginner structural design engineer, and I'm new to the solar energy world,
it's required from me to design a steel solar mounting system resisting a wind speed of 150 kmh,
In the attachments you can find a sketch of the required structure, and an AutoCAD file showing the deatails of the solar system,

what I really need to know is the wind load affect (pressure) on my structure and PV panels according to ASCE 07???
and what is the main part of the whole system should prevent the uplifting forces acting on the panels???

It'll be open from all sides and the roof is only covered by PV's which are placed flatly,

I really need your help, I have no one to help me here so I'm feeling like I'm really lost [cry]
I appreciate your fast replies for me,
thanks a lot in advance :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

LegendaryEngineer...you are asking the engineers of this forum to do the analytical portion of your design. We won't do that. We will be happy to guide you with specific answers to specific questions, but we do not want to lead you in the wrong direction because of having only partial information.

If you are going to design a steel structure you need to understand the following (at the least):

Structural steel analysis and design
Structural steel codes that are relevant to your structure
Load transfer from components and cladding
ASCE 7 and its pitfalls of interpretation
Wind loads and how they affect structures
Serviceability requirements relative to both your structure and the photovoltaic (PV) system

I understand that you said you have no one to help you. Since you are new to engineering, I would presume that you are not licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Check your governing laws to make sure that you are not violating them by providing such a design. In the US, Canada, UK and Australia, you would likely be violating governing engineering laws.

Thank you Ron,
Absolutely I didn't ask you here in this forum to the analysis for me!! it's immoral for me as an engineer to ask you such thing despite of I'm new to engineering or I'm not ..!!!!

first of all: the structural steel analysis (except wind load) is DONE and I know very well the codes I should use for the whole of my structure,
and what I'm asking about is clear, from my search and reading, I could know that in this structure the situation is totally different (for the wind load), because of the gap between the panels and the structure which leads to interference of fluid mechanics, I attached the AutoCAD file and picture for you to explain the situation for you easily

hope you can now understand what do I mean dear Ron,
despite of your wrong thinking of me THANKS A LOT :)

LegendaryEngineer....I'm not being critical of you, I just want to clarify what we typically can or cannot do for you. As for your attachments, they are not helpful in assisting you. When you post a drawing or sketch in the forums, please convert them to pdf files or even a jpg file so that more people can read them. Many participants do not use AutoCad and many participants often answer questions away from their offices where they might have AutoCad but it is not with them at the time.

Legendary Engineer said:
what I really need to know is the wind load affect (pressure) on my structure and PV panels according to ASCE 07???

This is part of the analysis. You have to determine the wind loads on the cladding (in this case the PV panels) and how that load is transferred to the structure. You do that by selecting the proper coefficients applicable to your building in its orientation to the wind.

Legendary Engineer said:
and what is the main part of the whole system should prevent the uplifting forces acting on the panels???
We don't know this because you have not given enough information for someone to determine it. Further, this is something you should determine...not someone in a forum.

Please go back and read my statements about licensing. I don't know your status, but this consideration should be made before you proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back