Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind load pressure calculator (software)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHAGGAG85

Structural
Aug 5, 2019
US
Hi,

I am looking for software or Exel sheet that will calculate the wind pressure based on ASCE 7-10 or ASCE 7-16 using the MWFRS Directional procedure.
so far I found two anyone have exprince with that can give me advice
#1 Wind simple - S. K. Ghosh Associates Inc #2 skyciv - this one is cloud engineering software

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used both Meca and WLS4/2019

WLS2019: Meca is linked above.

I have found issues with both in the past and reported them to each company and they fixed the programs quickly.
As always, it's worth noting that they both have their limitations as wind design can get quite complex based on building shape, etc.

Why directional procedure? I've looked into it and it looks just as complex with less carry over.

I just use a spreadsheet I made to get as far as velocity pressure for anything (C&C, MWFRS, appurtenances, etc) and then I just look up pressure coefficients for the particular case (parapets, eaves, cladding, freestanding signs, etc., which can't really be automated very easily). I made myself a series of questions and put the ASCE tables into other sheets that are referenced so I don't even need to open ASCE until step 6 - pressure coefficients (or to review when the topographic factor is required).

image_aoek3n.png

@AaronMcD , Because I can't use envelope procedure for low rise buildings .

Per ASCE 7-16 low rise building has 2 conditions
1- Mean roof height h less than or equal to 60 ft
2- Mean roof height h does not exceed the least horizontal dimension.
I am designing a motel has a Mean roof height more than the least horizontal dimension. so I guess I need to go with the directional procedure. or there is another solution for that
elev_du9jbg.png

111_zrlmjl.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back