Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

enggirl2014

Mechanical
Dec 11, 2014
CA
Hi,

I am looking for a good resource for wind loading calculations. I have searched on line and have found some stuffs but they then refer to another paper or don't show the procedure for calculating certain variables. I looking to find what the wind loading would be on an angled solar array, if that helps any.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where are you located? Wind loads are computed differently for different code jurisdictions. If you are in the USA, then ASCE 7 generally prevails. If other locations, check the code requirements

see attached report

"structural design of roof-mounted PV systems on the ASCE Standard 7-05 as follows:
a. Section 6.5.12.2, main wind-force resisting system (MWFRS), is the recommended starting point for designing the PV mounting structure, with the PV module oriented above and parallel to the roof surface
b. Section 6.5.12.4.1 addresses wind loads on components and cladding. We recommend the use of Section 6.5.12.4.1 and supporting Figures only for the design of the PV module attachment clips and hardware to the structure, and
for calculating loads on individual PV modules.
c. We do not recommend Section 6.5.15, 6.5.15.1, and Figure 6-21 for the design of PV systems.
d. This report provides basic guidance for applying ASCE Standard 7-05 to existing codes and standards for the typical residential application of PV arrays mounted parallel to the roof slope and relatively close (3 to 6 inches) to the roof surface."

Wind tunnel research by Dr. Greg Kopp at the University of Western Ontario, indicates that ASCE 7-­‐10 significantly overestimates wind uplift loads on flush roof-­‐mounted solar arrays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back