Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind Tunnel Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy94

Agricultural
Apr 14, 2002
ID
I need info to built wind tunnel system.
the engine is electric or diesel 400 hp.
the propeller diameter 2,5 m - 3 m. ( 3 blades )
will it good to run at 125 mph of wind speed !

thank`s
randy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Surely a search of books available on Amazon would turn up a few...
The engine you call for is more than enough for your purpose - though another limiting factor is the area of the test cross-section. The larger it is, the more power required.
BTW, where in the world are you going to get a 400 hp electric motor? This is obviously not something you're patching together in your garage.

Steven Fahey, CET
"Simplicate, and add more lightness" - Bill Stout

Thank`s Steven Fahey,

the test area 3m diameter, the propeller diameter 2,5m with 3 or 5 blades.
i use baldor electric motor, maybe i can change to diesel engine.
do you know what is the good book for ref !

thank`s
randy

To get meaningful results, you need to appreciate the conditions inside the tunnel and design tests that are appropriate. What do you want to learn? What are you testing?

Steven Fahey, CET
"Simplicate, and add more lightness" - Bill Stout

Randy,

I worked on sizing a low speed wind tunnel pretty recently. A good place to start would be a book called Low-Speed Wind Tunnel Testing 3rd edition by Barlow, Rae, and Pope. There is a chapter on wind tunnel design that is good. For estimating the power required to meet our test section speed goals we used some very simple first order estimation code that is outlined in the following NASA paper: TN D-8243 by Eckert.

Hope that helps
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back