Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wind turbine grid connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windnut

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2005
CA
I have built a 50kw vertical axis wind turbine and have been testing it offline for the past 2 years. It is time to connect it to the grid. Engineering firms keep telling me it is difficult and they are not interested in helping. Does anyone know of companies that do this? Are there off the shelf generators and controllers for this application?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What type of generator do you have (induction, synchronous)? Do you plan to use an inverter to interconnect with the utility?

Alan
----
"It’s always fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

I am currently using a 50kw 240volt generator. The current goes through a series of switches that are controlled by a pid controller. The switches regulate the current going to a bank of heaters which dissipate the energy into the air. The pid controller is used to maintain constant speed so that power output can be measured at the various wind speeds. The Cp vs blade speed ratio curves indicate a variable speed turbine would be beneficial.
The turbine structure is my own design and as far as I can tell no one has ever tried to do this before. The power output is excellent and the turbine elliminates all of the problems associated with previous VAWT. I need someone to design an electrical system, including the generator, and show me how to connect to the grid along with satisfying all the regulations specified by the utility compnany.

The requirements will depend on what type of generator, or tie inverter. And may depend on the configuration of the distribution feeder.

Are you able to vary the turbine speed or are the vanes fixed position?
If you are unable to vary the speed, you may be better off using an inverter arrangement or an asynchronous generator.

Relating this to embedded gas/diesel generators, we have to vary the engine/alternator speed to achieve synchronism with the grid and vary the voltage output using an AVR for voltage matching before closing the Synch breaker into parrallel. Once in parallel open the fuel and drive Kw.

Your application may suit an asynchronous motor, with some directional power detection for disconnection when the wind drops....

You really need to settle on a generator first, before dealing with the utility interface.

"The perfect is the enemy of the good." -- Voltaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back