Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wire IQI - is there a "better" wire than the nominal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teokal

Mechanical
May 4, 2007
GR
Hi all,

After having a comment from my client on a RT report regarding the wire IQI used and reported, I found out that ASME BPVC Section V, article 2, refers only to essential wire, but does not refer to "better", like it refers for the hole.
I mean that, in a specific case, the RT was performed on a 38mm thick weld (weld reinforcement included) coupon, for which the essential wire is #10 of the "B" set, for Source Side placement. But, our radiographer, managed to achieve wire #7, which is thinner, which means that the film provides more detail than the minimum required... So, he reported "7", at the corresponding IQI box. On the report, he also reported that the used set is "Set B".
I tried to explain it to my client, but I cannot support it based on the Code, since the Code does not provide such option (essential or better), as it provides in T-283.2 for the hole IQIs. So, is the "essential" wire the only target regarding IQIs, when performing RT, or a "better" wire visible, like in my case, is accepted?
To my mind, a more detailed RT (based on visible wire) should be accepted, since the achieved film quality is "better", at least in terms of detail.
I know that a more detailed RT may lead me to other problems, like indications that I would not talk about in alter case, but my question is targeted to the "should he accept the film, or not", since no other indications (relevant or non-relevan) are in any case, absent.
For the record, the radiation source is Ir192, source size 2.0 x 1.6 mm, activity 23Ci, fil KODAK T200, screens 0,02mm, SWSI, FFD 254mm.

Only best result in absolutely necessary time

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Has the client viewed the film or only the report ?
If the client has only viewed the report they may be concerned the No.7 wire is a mistake on the report - gamma radiography with an SFD of only 254 mm will not give a very high quality radiograph - seeing the No.9 or No.8 wire maybe, but No.7 ?

If the film has been reviewed and No.7 is visible there is no issue.
Achieving the minimum (essential wire) is the requirement so anything more sensitive is perfectly acceptable.

Cheers,
Shane

Hi Shane, thanks for the reply!
Yes, the Client has seen both the film and the report... The Client has proven himself pretty typical to these issues, and he wants the report to be "perfect". Now, we agree about the final outcome (thinner wire, better film quality). Yes, he managed to see wire Nr 7 with this source and settings. In any case, issue is solved, the report corrected to show both essential and visible wire... The only - unanswered - question remains, though: He should use initially the second set of wires, but he directly used the first one, and he managed to see wire 7! The radiographer probably knows better...
In any case, once again, thank you!

Only best result in absolutely necessary time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back