Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

wire marking system

Status
Not open for further replies.

automatic2

Industrial
Nov 2, 2002
CA
looking at investing into a shrink sleeve portable printing system. Can anyone reflect on their experiences. Application is largely control / PLC wiring.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use a Brady IDXpert. It is portable, was relatively inexpensive, and works fine for my low volume cable builds. No software required, but I believe it is available. When I send my cable builds to a contract manufacturer they always ask if they can use an equivalent, so for higher volumes there are probably better values.

Brady XPS-125-1 Label,1"x0.046"-0.110" Dia,Blk/W,IDX
Brady XPS-187-1 Label,1"x0.062"-0.150" Dia,Blk/W,IDX
Brady XPS-375-1 Label,1"x0.125"-0.320" Dia,Blk/W,IDX
Brady X-19-498 Label,1.0"x1.0",Blk/W,IDX

The ink tends to smear when rubbed vigorously; when I have external cables I'll include clear shrink tube over the labels.

Z

For a field portable I have had good luck with the Brady TLS2200. I like the ability to use it without software for smaller jobs or use the software and laptop interface for bigger or jobs I'll reuse the same labels. I also like having the ability to print other types of labels.

A company I worked at a while back had a Kroy label maker, K series. It also seemed to work pretty well except we had a lot of problems with it when using it out in the desert in higher temps.

Of the two longer term it appeared the Brady thermal type labels lasted longer (easier to read, less fading) than the Kroy labels, at least in my experience.

Hope that helps, Mike L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back