Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wiring of motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a small AC electric motor which I am trying to use for another application. The motor has four connections with white, green, black and red wires attached. Someone else in the history of this motor combined the white/green and the red/black in order to use a two prong plug. The power cord is shot and I am trying to replace it, but am unsure of how to connect the four wires into three. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have to know wich are the coils for each pair of wires.
Take a tester/ohmeter.
If the motor is for thre phashe voltage you only have to get the earth cable.
If the motor is only one phase you have two coils, one of this is start-coil and the other one is a work-coil.
In this case you've to conect one end of start-coil with the end of the work-coil and in the same way the other tow cables(i´m souposing that the conection to the broker circuit, for disconect the start-coil, is inside the motor; now you have two wires, conect one of this to the phase the other one to neutral and the third wire (earth) to any bolt in the motor.

Suggestion: Please, provide motor nameplate data, if available, since some motor windings cannot be easily traced. There could be capacitors, centrifugal switch, etc.

Nameplate data is as follows:

Emerson Electric, St. Louis, MO.
model KS60KB-698 type KS
Frame 56Z H.P. 1/3 RPM 1725
Volts 115 Amps 5.6 Cycles 60 Ph. 1
Code K temp rise 50 C CONT
26 30

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Hope this will help. Stephen.

Suggestion: Contact Emerson Electric for a wiring diagram of the above motor at:
8100 West Florissant Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63136-0546
Phone: 314-553-2000
Fax: 314-553-1495

Can someone tell me how to wire a 1phase motor .I know very little of motors but please talk about basics ie. sleeve, isulations, coils,armature,tools,guage,cords,varnish,ovens,
winding machines etc.

Wiring a single phase motor is very simple.

Since you have four wires I am assuming this is a capacitor-start/induction-run motor. In most cases, the color scheme goes: Red/Green::Yellow[White]**/Black for operating at 110vAC @ 60Hz. The proper way to wire a single-phase motor for 110vAC, follow this diagram:
Code:
(R)___________
              \______   [385? (7A) Breaker]
(G)___________/      \       /\    /\                   
                      \_____/  \  /  \__<--[Load (vAC)]
                                \/

_______<--[Ground (-)]
                       _______?/?
(W/Y)_________        /                       
              \______/    [Switch I/O]
(B)___________/

Motor Frame†<--[Hard Ground]

†If the motor has a capacitor, Do Not ground to the cap.
*B=Black, W=White, Y=Yellow, R=Red, G=Green
**Yellow and White are interchangeable depending on manufacturer.

385 is in Ohms, the other two question marks are unicode characters for an open circuit (switch).

Microfluvial,
I see that you are new to the forum, welcome. Please try to refrain from posting to threads that are over 6 months old. That thread was nearly 5 years old! Additional guidelines are available by following the link at the end of my signature line.

Eng-Tips: Help for your job, not for your homework Read faq731-376 [pirate]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back