Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood Beam Reinforcement through sistered members

Status
Not open for further replies.

palves

Structural
Jun 6, 2008
US
I have run into this case on numerous ocassions and want to make sure I'm looking at it correctly. I have an existing 4x12 beam that needs to be reinforced for a new loading. The new load produces a moment of 1763 ft-lb, and I will support this by sistering a 2x8 on either side of the beam. My question comes with the nailing required to make this beam act as a single unit and adequately resist the loads. I've gone through the horizontal shear calculation, but am not quite sure if this is the correct way to go about it. All examples I have seen assume that the beams stack on top of each other instead of side by side. I have attached my calculation so please take a look and let me know what you think. A few main questions.

1. Can I even use the horizontal shear equation when they're side by side?

2. Do I need to worry about the connection so much when they are side by side? I can see the merit when they stack vertically, but feel like they should act together with minimal nailing in this case. Maybe 2 rows of 10d at 6" o.c. staggered.

What is making me question myself is the 371 lb/in I am getting. I would need an excessive amount of nails to satisfy this shear when the extra load the beam will take appears to be rather small. Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing that bothers me is that all the above calculations regarding the Q, E and I is that they assume that the lumber is the same grade and species. The reality is that in the same species a #2 grade 2x8 will deflect more than a #1 grade 2x8 lumber under the same span and loading.

Garth Dreger PE - AZ Phoenix area
As EOR's we should take the responsibility to design our structures to support the components we allow in our design per that industry standards.

Please disregard the above post of mine, I just had my second cup of coffee and realize the E does change per grade.

Garth Dreger PE - AZ Phoenix area
As EOR's we should take the responsibility to design our structures to support the components we allow in our design per that industry standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back