Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood cantilever balcony 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2005

Structural
Jan 12, 2005
US
I am designing a backyard timber cantilever balcony that support part of a roof, I understand there has been lots of problem with this type of balcony, I am thinking of extending the floor joist but then water is a big issue. Where can I find information on connection anaysis and design? I am mostly looking for connection details.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The exterior portion of your floor joists will deteriorate quicker than the interior. Eventually, you will have to replace the exterior portion. Not an easy or cheap thing to do. Most people usually wind up putting in ledger boards and posts to the ground when replacing the deck. So why not do it from the beginning. Also, cantilever decks provide a penetration for water to come through every 16 inches. Not the best idea to have holes every 16 inches in the side of your house.

I'll admit that I have not seen this done many times, but the few I have seen have all exhibited water infiltration problems and joist rot.

a2005
The rule of tumb is for every foot out you need to extend your joists 2 feet in, which will work the same if you use the formulas. You may nail the joists to the existing joists or if the floor support is not too far extend the balcony joists to the floor support system. You may use the pressure treated joists to prevent water problem on the outside and use flashing. Depends on your location and the codes used the cantilevered balconies are supposed to be 60 lbper foot sqaure, IRC 2000. Good luck.
K&G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back