Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wood floor joist with notch needs shear reinforcement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HouseBoy

Structural
Nov 21, 2005
US
I have (a client with) an old row house (circa 1910) that has notched joists that are splitting at the notch.
Joists are approx. 1.75" x 10.5" at 16" o.c. spanning 16 ft
Notch is about mid depth with the split nearby (see pic)

I'm wondering about a way to provide shear reinforcement much like a external stirrup.
I can't think of a good way to install a metal strap around the joist that would clamp it together snug (needing to be tight and durable/without slipping).

Has anyone used long screws with small diameter continuous thread screws (Simpson makes 6" long 5/32" diam.) that would be installed from the bottom up?
Joist would be clamped together first and the screws would designed for shear flow.

Plywood on both sides would be another option but I'm wondering about the screw strategy as an option.
I have seen it for larger timbers but not for 2x material and wondering if others have done this.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ea3ac12c-5704-4ccd-9394-fdcba6635683&file=IMG_0441.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MyTiCon has a decent white paper on a similar topic which I've attached. You may need to use those long, GRK/ASSY screws which your contractor may not enjoy. I'm also not sure how practical the install would be over a narrow-ish member.

c01_p6vw6j.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back