Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood framed buildings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

slickdeals

Structural
Apr 8, 2006
US
How do you all tackle simple wood framed buildings - like a normal Type V building? What's your workflow? Do you all use some software or a lot of in-house spreadsheets for various breakout tasks (gravity wall stud sizing, shear wall design etc.)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I check lateral loads first to ensure there's enough room for shear walls, etc. If not, or I need something 'abnormal' I can warn the architect right away so they can make accommodations. In the event I have some transfer girders carrying LFRS loads, I have an idea of what they'll be. Simple hand calcs are easiest and fastest for most houses/small commercial buildings. Apartment buildings may need something more robust for accounting purposes.

Then I lay out bearing walls, beams, joists, etc.

I use Forteweb since it's free and does most of what I need from wood software. Run the gravity loads down. Then go back and figure uplift and detail those connections.

That's about it, really.

If it is simple enough I use precalced elements wherever possible. I have tables of columns, joists, footing etc. This way you just do your analysis and compare demand with capacity listed in tables.

0. Look at arch drawings, make sure I have bearing lines and that it looks like I have enough SW. I can normally go ahead and markup for first round drafting before I start design unless the architect is clueless.

1. Design criteria: Look wind and seismic criteria online, spreadsheet for gravity loads (roof, floor, etc). Spreadsheet for wind pressure and seismic coeff.

2. I normally size the main gravity framing to ensure I have enough depth then move on to lateral.

3. Lateral: I markup a roof plan with my various diaphragms, then use a spreadsheet to design sheathing and chords. My diaphragm spreadsheet has a lateral load summary table to add all the diaphragm forces to each wall line. Shearwall spreadsheet for each wall line designs SW, HD and collectors for all segments. For multi-story I have a spreadsheet that can track the uplift between stories. If I need to do FTAO I use the APA spreadsheet. Most other lateral I design by hand.

4. Gravity framing Enercalc for roof, posts and studs. Spreadsheet for continuous and gravity spread footings. If I have a highly loaded footing I may run it in Enercalc.

Most of the wood buildings I do are commercial buildings or industrial. Occasionally I've done multi-story, multi-family apartment buildings. I've used Woodworks. It works well for unusual designs. For fairly typical buildings I can design faster with spreadsheets and hand calcs.

I can tell you to watch out for continuity of tie beams of ceiling and roof lines over dormitories.

Provide a nailing schedule for jeep broad and plywood wall with hunch beam opening according to standard codes. You have to search for the nail schedule.

To watch out for zone requirement for building front set back, side set back, behind set back, and lane set back.

There is a restriction to the number of storeys and building height according to the local zoning by-law.

Line up pillar with inside wall.

Provide shear wall.

Find out if there is organic soil and fine sand beneath the foundation. Watch out for collapsible soil and change of water table.

Never build on a flood plane.

A good book would be “Principles of timber design for architects and builders,” and “American graphic standards, early edition.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back