Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WOOD KING STUD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

deereman

Structural
Mar 30, 2005
US
I'VE GOT A 20'-0" HIGH WALL ON A PROJECT THAT HAS AN 8'-0" WIDE OPENING. BASED ON 20 PSF WIND LOAD THE KING STUDS WOULD HAVE A DISTRIBUTED LOAD OF 80 LB/FT AND NEED TO BE (4) 2X8'S. THE CONTRACTORS SAY THIS IS EXCESSIVE AND IT DOES SEEM TO BE, BUT I CAN'T WORK THE NUMBERS OUT ANY OTHER WAY. IS THERE ANYTHING I'M MISSING,DOES THE WINDOW FRAME ITSELF TRANSFER SOME OF THE LOAD?

THANKS,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Always treat the builders comments with respect and take them into consideration before you politely reply to them (one day they may have a valid point).

But always remember that when it comes to sizing members in unusual situations - they have no idea what they are talking about! The builder in question probably hasnt done a wall this high and is comparing it to the usual 10' high openings.

I have occasionally used psl or other engineered lumber in this situation. I don't think you are off the mark. 20 feet is a tall wall for wood construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back