Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wood to concrete connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlpineEngineer

Civil/Environmental
Aug 27, 2006
US
I have a situation where the client wants to cantilever a glu lam to pick up some roof load columns as well as deck framing. There is no desirable way to connect this cantilevered beam to something to resist the uplift. So, the client came up with the idea of running the glulam alongside (bolted) to the foundation wall (there is an exterior foundation wall in line with this glulam. I looked at the NDS values for bolt design values for single shear connection for lumber to concrete connection.

I suppose if I'm bolting in through the side of a glu lam I would use perpendicular to grain values out of these tables??

Also, in determining how many bolts I need I am a bit confused. In determing the load on each bolt do I just do the statics as if I had a bearing point at each of these bolts? If I try obtaining the loads that way the more supports I add the worse the loads look on the first couple bolts/supports...

Thanks a bunch,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you can treat the bolts as a bolt group, instead of as a series of pinned supports (which is what you did). You will need to find the polar moment of inertia of the bolt group, and then you can check the bolts for the applied shear and moment.

DaveAtkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back