Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wood truss moving bearing

youngblood30

Structural
Jan 28, 2020
US
I have a 40’ wood metal plated truss that is cantilevered on one end to span a rear porch. Plan is to remove bearing on cantilevered side and move it out to the end about 8’. Im having a local truss company run the design on the original truss bearing conditions and also for the proposed with bearings on the end (no cantilever). Some of the members have CSI failures and some joints failures.

The existing trusses were designed in the 90’s and luckily they had the shop drawings available. There are adjacent existing trusses that handle the full/same span(without cantilever) but the geometry of the truss is slightly different. The Plan is to reinforce chords/webs that failed based on the tension/compression values and plywood gusset the joints that need to be addressed.

Are there any standards or references for situations like this? I know the truss companies have a lot of testing data on their plates and fairly robust software but I haven’t been able to find anything detailed on plywood gussets or typical practices for reinforcing/repairs. Thanks in advance!

Back