Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Work in China 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjf1

Structural
Jul 19, 2005
US
Can anyone tell me their recent work experiences in mainland China?

I'm a civil/structural PE with nearly 20 years experience in heavy industry (metals, petrochem & power). I've done design, site construct, PM and department management, but have been looking to round out my career.

A friend suggested I look to the East.

Any help appreciated.

(FYI - married with young children, all willing to travel)

jjf

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't, but a couple of my friends have worked there for a while.

Given that it contains 1 billion people, stretches from the tropics to the arctic circle (practically) and includes some of the biggest cities in the world and some of the most isolated communities, I think you might have to be slightly more specific about the help you want.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Perhaps you can check up big big power companies like Alstom, GE, Siemens etc, all of them work in China on various projects.

Ciao.

I worked in the Xinjiang Uygur Region - out near Kazakhstan for 4 years. I and my family loved it. Was on a highway project. There were problems, of course, not the least of which was the language - but we would love to go back there. Like any large country, there will be places you would like and many that you wouldn't. One problem that I see many times with farang (foreigners) working in other countries - especially in the East is that is seems exciting, is - but perhaps for 3 to 5 months - then, well, many are looking to leave. It is not a "vacation" like many people back home think. When we were there my daughter attended local Chineses school - did quite well - but now, after 4 years in India, she doesn't remember the Chinese all that much - sad on that end. Besides China - you might consider other countries like Laos, Indonesia, Myanmar, Vietnam, etc. - need to find out what type of company you would work for - a consultant doing highway/bridge/airport/mining work or a prime manufacturer.
Be ready for a great adventure - with high and lows sometimes on the same day, but it is an experience and life I wouldn't give up. But, be sure it is really what you want to do and that you and family are ready to do it.
Good luck.
[cheers]

I am currently working in China, even if not in mainland and if you are going to take that step, I would say that you must prepare it very well.
As BigH puts it, working here is not a walk in the park and the culture is very different. I assume that you are in US so consider the following:

-Chinese don't like individual responsibility so if you are expecting that the average chinese takes a decision when you are around, forget it. They will not do it;
-Empowerment and modern management techniques are very beatiful in paper in countries where person's development is higher. Here there is still many of that tought:"Boss tells, we do". So, patience is the key. With time you will be able to get results.
-Very rarely they will tell you what they think. So, you have to follow your gut and be very attentive to non verbal signs;

Finally, the most important:
Your family has to support you always and you have to support them. Once I saw a report on the causes why European expatriates faile their abroad missions and the top cause was the unnability of the wife/kids to adapt to teh new place. I cannot imagine how it would be if my wife didn't like to be here.

Good luck.

MedicineEng - quite true about the home front. I am very lucky with my wife and daughter - my wife is from Indonesia so was/is used to many of the problems that are faced by the family. I will say, though, that of all the very good female friends I have from North America, there is little doubt in my mind that any of them would survive it there or anyplace else in the countries I've mentioned unless, of course, they were in Shanghi/Beijing, Bangkok, Denpensar, etc. Did anyone see the shows on Hallmark about families from US going to "live" for 9 days in another country? I saw the family from US go to the Malaysian jungle - what a trip/also the one that went to Rajasthan. Nine days is doable - a "lifetime" - umhhhh?

Thanks for the feedback.

I've spent time in Europe and South America, but that was usually just weeks or months. And of course, culturally, they were not that different from home.

I appreciate the input on Asia.

jjf

I also have some questions on work in China

What is the governing body of professional engineering in China, say in the big modern cities? Any tranferability in terms of professional qualification for those holding a professional licence in North America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back