Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working as a Civil Engineer in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohammad

Structural
Mar 21, 2001
US

Hi everyone there,I have been working in Kuwait for 10 years as a Structural Civil Engineer,Iam a site engineer and my field is Supervision,the main construction material in Kuwait is reinforced concrete.When I move to Toronto(Canada).am I going to have a chance to work in the same field? or do I have to redevelop myself again and be able to deal mainly with steel structures?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I cannot answer for Toronto as I am an engineer in Manitoba.

Here we work both in steel and concrete. There are opportunities for design work in both fields.

Having said that, if you can work in both steel and concrete you will be a better engineer and more valuable to employers and in the market should you try to go on your own. Your opinion as to use steel or concerte will also be unbaised and seen to be unbiased. Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Mohammad,

I have spent the last five plus years as a structural designer in Toronto. There are numerous construction projects underway in both concrete and steel. The concrete buildings tend to be the condominium and office buildings that are going up in and around the city. Steel framed buildings are typically the industrial buildings in the outlying areas. Although this is the general trend, it's not cut and dry.

I agree with RDK, that you shouldn't limit yourself to either concrete or steel, since many projects and companies deal with aspects of both.

Good luck!!

mohammad,

If you were educated elewhere than in Canada you will want to check with the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario.

With the exception of 'most' US, UK, and Australian Universities, Canadian Professional Associations do not recognize most foreign degrees and may not accept foreign experience. Canadian Immigration Officials will fail to mention this since they don't really care whether you'll be allowed to practice once here. They are only trying to fill their quotas. If PEO doesn't recognize your degree and/or your experience there are still avenues to obtain professional standing but it can be a lengthy process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back