Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Working where everybody hates each other 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space213

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2017
US
I work at a sales driven startup where everybody seems to hate each other or have constant disagreements. Its fairly a new idea and what i see is people who are just fighting to prove themselves to who knows what.
It gets to a point where i become the punching bag to it because im a junior engineer while the directors are just worried about their reputation. Is this very usual in the workforce?
We can never stick to a design envelope then i am expected to change designs and all documents that follow in a nick of time so operations who is already the biggest blamer ever can just go on and get products out his own way.
Im 2yrs in and im like id rather suffer working for myself or try then deal with this constant animosity it almost feels like the upper guys just dont know what they're doing lol.

Guys ever deal with crap like this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Space213 said:
Too ambitious in general but they took advantage of it for sure.

When you eventually find a new place, don't let your ambition and willingness to do the work change. That is incredibly valuable to you and to your future employer. If you are the guy who comes in does the bare minimum and goes home, you'll always be that guy. You'll make it to mid-level engineer and be stuck in a cubicle doing the routine work that everyone hates. It's very easy for a situation that you're in to sour you, and if you're not careful this will be your fate.

If you keep up your work ethic and do your absolute best, then you'll be the one calling shots as the Chief Tech Officer some day. It's surprisingly easy to stand out in what looks on the surface to be a competitive crowd. You just have to find the right person/people/company to do it for that will value you appropriately.

Thanks, ill keep the ambition going. I felt i reallt got abused because i would just take it. The previous engineer who left this company said there isnt a worse culture hes seen than where i am now. It really ruins your perspective of engineering. I need to get out

Space213,

Designing new product is a chaotic process. Much of the chaos comes from your customer(s) as they figure out exactly what they want. Welcome to the rest of your career.

CashRegister_harskf.jpg

Company culture is a long-term issue. Are you working with jerks and a**holes, or are they just strongly opinionated. Are you willing to trust these people? If they are professionals, the company has a future. Otherwise, you need to get out of there, and work with and learn from people who are professional.

--
JHG

drawoh,

they lack extreme professionalism and the culture is ran by petty jealousy between the employees. The manager lectured me today that its not about the work you do even if its great and you work hard but its about how you can bullshit your appearance. People who show up before their bosses do but literally screw off half the time at work are deemed more valuable then somebody like who when I enter the building its nose down and work. I am told I have to constantly show off and glorify any type of work im doing.

Stuff like this is why I want to move on

It seems exactly like you are stuck in an abusive, toxic relationship. Can't stay, can't go. What is it that is keeping you there now? Is it worth the daily pain? Are those guys worth the effort it would take for you to try to turn them around? BTW that would be very difficult, if not impossible to do without help from a strong and independent HR dept acting as councelor. Do you have any potential allies at all? Going that route alone is suicide. Changing corporate culture usually requires an event of catastrophic proportions. Sometimes even more than one. BP: Texas City Refinery explosion and Macando.

From what you've said already, I would advise you to find a new job at a company with a cooperative culture. This time pay attention to the way your various prospective companies have built their work environments. Do some of your own research. Ask around. Follow a group of their people going out to lunch if you have to. Watch how they interact. Verify or cross them off your list if you can't.

The benefits to all parties from working in a mutually cooperative environment cannot be overstated. If you are like most of us, you probably spend more of your awake time at the office than at home, so that heavily influences your complete outlook on life. If not now, it soon will. In any case, its too much time to do so in a toxic environment. The difference it will make is night and day.

Now we know why you want to leave. Are there any reasons to stay? Make the pro/Con list and then make your decision. You'll be happy you did.

“What I told you was true ... from a certain point of view.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi, "Return of the Jedi"

More likely they don't have one and if they did, it would have to be a very good one. Most are certainly not up to such a task and you would be labeled a bad apple straight away. I would not recommend that. Build powerful allies or leave.

I don't know. From the sound of it, that manager is giving great advice for short term survival. Long term survival probably isn't something to worry about there, after all...

There are definitely no good allies. Especially not with me. Its alot of ego and people fighting to one up the other person.
Rather than helping each other as a team.
You only get blamed for stuff never praised.say if im getting chewed out other engineers are so thristy to feel superior the energy becomes contagious and they begin to gang up and thats where I just have to lash back. But if i do then im quickly labeled the bad guy now. Lol its my first job i was the nice guy so they assume i deserve to be abused just because it makes them feel better.

Praise apparently at this company has been you should be glad you have a job.

Just trying to give as much information to this situation im in. I will say from a positive standpoint i learned alot in my 2 years of being here

Praise apparently at this company has been you should be glad you have a job.

There use to be a variant of this at IBM. I interviewed with them as a graduating senior, and, in due course, they sent me an offer letter, but no dollar amount. So I called them up and they said, "Oh, you need to accept the offer first." So, I told them I had therefore had to decline, and they asked, "What was your winning offer?" I told them, and they responded, "Oh, well that's way higher than we would have given you!"

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Space213,
Being a wallflower (as you apparently are now) will not help you in your current situation. You will need to preen those bright feathers of yours to receive any recognition. In my first job out of university, I had to have a few major shouting matches with one particular engineer above me and I was the only young engineer who was kept when the firm let al the others go during the mild recession of 1971/72.

If you have not already seen my threads progressively got worse in regarda to this job. The main manager disrespects me so much and in turn i lose respect from everybody at the company its becomes contagious. Im simply the punching bag a

Same time he wont fire me , he says youve been here for 2 years so you have more value than others.Then says you're a really good engineer but you need to fake it more with other people at the company. Smh lol

These are the types of conversations i have i just dont get it. I want to know what to avoid from this so next job I am treated fairly.

Bright side is im getting interest from other companies but we'll see where it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back