Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working with Solids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikegmw

Structural
Sep 15, 2005
US
While working with solids I have hit a stumbling block. I have a complex piece that is off by one measurement of .187 in. I was wondering if there was a command I could use that would prevent me from starting this whole project over again.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not entirely sure of the problem you have but have you carried out a union of the model. If you have that will cause you problems.

taffcad, why would having unioned a solid cause problems ?
if both solids to be unioned were dimensionally correct and the placement was also correct, why would there be any problem in the resulting union ?

If the model is off by any measurement, there are a couple of options to remedy the problem. You could use some of the solid editing commands to move or stretch a face. Or, you could create a new solid of the missing portion and union it to the main solid. This could be anything from a 30 second fix to an horu or two, depending upon the complexity of the model.

I generally run with DELOBJ set to 0, so the primitives are not destroyed along the way. Having them available can be helpful when you absolutely have to regenerate an object. Maybe you don't have to...

Sometimes, STRETCH will work like you'd expect it to on solids. Sometimes it won't. I have no idea why.

Failing that, some combination of the SLICE, COPY, MOVE, and UNION commands can probably help you adjust your object without regenerating it from scratch.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back